• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do martial arts?

Why do you do martial arts?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you do martial arts?

• Everyone loves to be fit!
    • I live in a dangerous neighborhood where people are likely to attack me.
    • I live in an annoying neighborhood where people are likely to annoy me.... THEY WILL SOON PAY!
    • I need a hobby to keep me out of the house.
    • "I happen to be a black belt in karate" is a great why to pick up a girl.
    • Its just fun!
    • Other (state in forum)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea..i started out because i got interested in it...i think it might have been annie (a movie) that started me off..who knows :P so I started training myself for the fun of it XD but that soon quickly changed due to deepening of a relationship that had taught me just how much the life of another could mean to me. So I'm primarily training for that..Self defence was originally taught for defending yourself...but i use it not just for defending myself..but others as well.

:P Deeply spiritual i guess..

instint quote 'there's nothing like a little peace and tranquility while kicking someone's behind"

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

I started at 6 because I watched The Karate Kid and thought it was neat. Of course, at the time I had no idea what it would become. I have continued studying martial arts for the last 22 years. The study has become a part of me. A part of my soul. There is only one person alive for whom I would give it up, and she would never ask that of me.

When I started, it was for fun.

In my teens it was for competition and fitness.

In my early twenties, it was to keep me alive in war.

And now it's to master my body and mind.

The following quote, I believe, sums it up.

"You cannot play with the animal in you without becoming wholly animal, play with falsehood without forfeiting your right to truth, play with cruelty without losing your sensitivity of mind. He who wants to keep his garden tidy doesn't reserve a plot for weeds."

-Dag Hammarskjold

I still have some weeds, but I'm working on it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very nice, ps1. Who is the person that you quoted? I like it.

He was the head of the UN for a while. I'm not sure of the dates. Wait a minute, I'll Wiki him.

Ok. He was from Sweden and served as the second Secretary-General of the United Nations. His term of service was from 1953 to 1961. More info can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_Hammarskjold

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I got the bug after seeing Bruce Lee films but it took another 10 years before I finally took up karate .self defence and being able to defend myself if needed was the main factor , later on I learned about other values and benefits that martial arts have .

I voted other as none of the choices applied to me .

never give up !

I start shotokan next week but I'm doing it because it's something I've always wanted to do but never had the opportunity until now. I'm in a physical job that is the only exercise I get but it isn't very good for endurance, flexibility, and cardio. I'm also hoping karate will help with all that.

But mainly, because it looks really fun. :karate: