• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ultimate Ki Tech

Please stop inventing definitions.

Well... the English language is defined by those that speak it. Just because someone publishes a dictionary does not make their interpretation of a word more correct than any other given persons. A common set of definitions is generally accepted for the sake of more efficient communication, but it is by no means a requirement.

For instance, some dictionaries have been updated to include such "words" as "dot-com," "bling," and even "McJob." These were words, with meanings, before the dictionary was updated. (Granted, I do not consider any of those three to be actual words, and I usually ignore people who say them, but I recognize that they still carry meaning to those that use them.)

It seems that you and DarkClyde disagree on the definition of the term "Master." I personally would define a "master" of something as someone who could command or use that thing at a whim - to that end I would say that a person had mastered Ki (assuming it exists) when they could create, shape and form it at a mere whim, requiring no actual effort or investment on the part of the user.

A ki ball seems to be a popular example of shaping Ki, so I would say that when a person is capable of generating one without meditation, without putting their hands together - all they have to do is think about it and it's there - then I would say that that person had mastered the technique of making a ki ball. Similarly the ability to knock over cards at a distance would be mastered when a practitioner was capable of doing so merely by thinking about it - theoretically the act could be performed even if completely paralyzed.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... the English language is defined by those that speak it. Just because someone publishes a dictionary does not make their interpretation of a word more correct than any other given persons.

Every dictionary will give a definition more similar to mine than yours. The meansings, in English, are defined by the people, not the person. You are a person. You can mean whatever you like, but you are not speaking English to do so.

A common set of definitions is generally accepted for the sake of more efficient communication, but it is by no means a requirement.

No, it's definately a requriement to remain English.

It seems that you and DarkClyde disagree on the definition of the term "Master." I personally would define a "master" of something as someone who could command or use that thing at a whim

So a "master carpenter" is someone who "can command the use of carpentry at a whim"? Or a master electrician? Or a master musician?

I can command the use of Qi at a whim, so I guess I'm a master now?

to that end I would say that a person had mastered Ki (assuming it exists) when they could create, shape and form it at a mere whim, requiring no actual effort or investment on the part of the user.

A whim is an investment.

Similarly the ability to knock over cards at a distance would be mastered when a practitioner was capable of doing so merely by thinking about it - theoretically the act could be performed even if completely paralyzed.

Well, tell me when you want to discuss this in English. Thanks for letting me know how your language works and good luck with that.

Well glad that's settled. So I guess we are back to the subject now?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

hmmm... that is a tough one. i think i might have to go with flame broiling, i think :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 1 month later...