• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joining a BJJ School - A few questions

I have a background in American Kenpo, but I quit after I saw the school transform into an atypical McDojo after a few management and instructor changes. Since then, I haven't taken any classes of any kind, but the passion for it never really died.

So, I'm planning on re-joining the martial art community. I was particularly interested in this BJJ school in my area: http://www.bjjboulder.com/adult/index.php

The place seems reputable, and I was invited to attend "orientation" this week. But I was a little irritated that I couldn't get their price rates out of them over the phone, so I'm weary.

Anyway, I had a few questions:

1.) How physically intensive is Bazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I'm looking for something that's physically challenging, since it's either a gym membership or this for me. I'm a broke college student, can't afford both :P

2.) What's it like to learn? How difficult did you find it as a new student? And any other experiences you had as a newbie coming into the art.

3.) How practical is it? I'm, of course, familiar with the Gracies and their achievements. But I'd like to hear your personal opinion and experiences on the outside-the-mat applicability of BJJ.

And of course, any other insights you may have in the art. Oh, and if you guys know anything about this school or have any impressions about this school, or the head instructor Amal Easton, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to becoming active around here again.

Its a great style to learn. It has moderate phyiscal intensity. The style is very useful in the street agianst 1 oppoent.

As far as learning it , that depends on how well you pick up things and if you are a quick learner.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic