• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joining a BJJ School - A few questions

I have a background in American Kenpo, but I quit after I saw the school transform into an atypical McDojo after a few management and instructor changes. Since then, I haven't taken any classes of any kind, but the passion for it never really died.

So, I'm planning on re-joining the martial art community. I was particularly interested in this BJJ school in my area: http://www.bjjboulder.com/adult/index.php

The place seems reputable, and I was invited to attend "orientation" this week. But I was a little irritated that I couldn't get their price rates out of them over the phone, so I'm weary.

Anyway, I had a few questions:

1.) How physically intensive is Bazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I'm looking for something that's physically challenging, since it's either a gym membership or this for me. I'm a broke college student, can't afford both :P

2.) What's it like to learn? How difficult did you find it as a new student? And any other experiences you had as a newbie coming into the art.

3.) How practical is it? I'm, of course, familiar with the Gracies and their achievements. But I'd like to hear your personal opinion and experiences on the outside-the-mat applicability of BJJ.

And of course, any other insights you may have in the art. Oh, and if you guys know anything about this school or have any impressions about this school, or the head instructor Amal Easton, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to becoming active around here again.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would jump at the chance to learn BJJ. I would go check out the orientation, and then ask about price again. I have heard that it is quite challenging physically, and should fit your needs as far as that goes.

1) bushido was right.

2)Its awesome to learn grappling . You will surprise about that an average guy with 1 year of practice can handle you on the mat easily ,no matter how good are you in stand up combat. Its another world.

I am an ´´assertive´´ guy , not cocky but with a ´´normal´´ ego of one who engaged for several years in MA and weight training. I was very angry first, because some skinny lil´guy submited me with calm and ease. I tought :

´´ oh dude , this 150 lbs guy could have taken my life with that chocke. I can bench press two guys like him ,and its useless.´´ .

Grappling changed my mind, and I learnt to dont have such prejudices ´bout how an opponent looks. It taught me to respect people and a more important thing not UNDERESTIMATE others.

And I know now...that some people is better doing something and worse in other thing. I am a natural decent puncher and kicker , but I am not a natural grappler. I know a 18 yo guy who absorbs techiques like a spounge and won a lot of tourneys with 6 months of practices...and I couldnt remember moves with that skill......

3) I just have 1/2 year of experience on this , but I used the art outside the mat 2 times .

- I took an agressive guy down and then made a frontal choke/crank from mounted.

-I used a rear chocke ( mata leao) on a guy who was insulting with his friends in a party for 2 hours.They were looking for fights. I didnt want to punch or kick him....I just wanted him to stop . And the guy fell unconscius for a while..then he stood up.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

1. It can be very physically challenging.

2. It doesn't look like it to the untrained eye...but BJJ is extremely technical. Lots of step1, step 2, step 3.... but once you practice it several times, it starts to flow well. The littlest details matter. I remember getting frustrated when I first started. My first class I thought I would never remember all the steps for each technique, but I did. Just keep focused and you'll do fine. Remember, the tap is your best learning tool. It's hard to learn what you did wrong if your unconscious or on the way to a hospital!

3.Yes, it's extremely effective on the street. It's not all ground stuff like you see in competitions. They have plenty of stuff to get out of holds and attempt to stay on your feet. They just aren't afraid to take a fight to the ground if necessary.

P.S. The instructor is a Renzo Gracie Black Belt. Renzo is one of the best around. He's extremely skilled and has one of the best attitudes. The classes will probably be expensive (over $100 a month would not surprise me). But you'll be training with a very skilled person.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Back in the mid 90's a friend I worked with started learning BJJ at that school. He seemed to like it.

Is your friend still at that school? By now he's be a black belt. What's his name? Maybe we've heard of him.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

His name is Jimmy Coaxum. We were at the Department of Energy Office at Rocky Flats. When it closed up shop he relocated and is now in Amarillo, TX.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

BJJ is a fun art to do.

Yes it is Physically chalanging as well as mentally chalanging. Here is some tips for training.

1. Keep a postive attitude towards training.

2. 70/30 rule. 70% Drilling 30% sparring/rolling

Sparring/rolling is the test. Drilling allows you to due the test. You will get better drilling more then sparring more. However you need sparring/rolling to see what you did right and what you did wrong. Plus its fun!

3. Clean your gi after every roll (don't be the stinky guy on the mat)

4. Don't be Mean (if Its not MMA training and its just rolling around) Don't pick up slam your opponents, throw elbows, or head butt, put knee on their face.) You will tick people off quick.

5. Don't be a spaz (a begginer that goes all out burns him self out quickly and then gets subbed) relax go slow, when sparring/rolling. After your match with your opponent especially if he is higher rank or more experienced. Ask for feed back as far as what you need to do to imrpove. Write that stuff down in your note book, and work on it. BRING A NOTE BOOK TO CLASS EVERY TIME YOU ATTEND!

6. If you get staph infextion, ring wom or any skin rash like that. Tell your instructor, and STAY OFF THE MATS, until your healed. Don't be the guy that is known for spreading ring worm to your team mates.

7. In the beggining focus your training on postional escapes, and posiontal control. Don't focus so much on submissions right away, they will come in time. If you focus on submission defense, and sweeps, you will always have that with you. The submissions will come and you will be a matt terror over time.

8. Find a mentor, some one who is higher rank then you that you respect, ask them questions, offer to be a drilling partner. Do what others don't do.

9. Spend your time after class, drilling the tehcniques with some one. While the others talk in the locker room or on the side of the mats. You will improve quicker this way.

10. Stay away from the Mat Bully. Some people can be nice off the mat but when they are on they become a mat bully. (The guy that likes to crank things hard, even after you tap out.) or likes to slam you, or just beat you down) You have a higher chance of getting hurt by these guys. If you encounter a mat bully. Tell your instructor, and don't train with that mat bully any more. Not every one at your gym is going to be cool and look out ofr your interest for training. Some people do it for ego gratfication and like to beat down others.

11. Tap often, don't be a hero or a tough guy and try to resist after the submission is put on you will get your self hurt and side line your training. Its not worth it.

You will learn alot, you will have fun, its a great work out, and good training to you.

1.) How physically intensive is Bazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I'm looking for something that's physically challenging, since it's either a gym membership or this for me. I'm a broke college student, can't afford both :P

It is really strength building and you work a lot if you are allowed to roll for 10 mins or more (I know that sounds short, but in BJJ it feels like much longer)

2.) What's it like to learn? How difficult did you find it as a new student? And any other experiences you had as a newbie coming into the art.

Coming from karate and judo, I got the standing/balance stuff quickly. The bulk, though actually took a few months for me to catch on and learn things quickly and easily.

3.) How practical is it? I'm, of course, familiar with the Gracies and their achievements. But I'd like to hear your personal opinion and experiences on the outside-the-mat applicability of BJJ.

Not very. If John Q Attacker has a friend, pretty much you can't use any BJJ and if he doesn't, but you are on gravel or even pavement, a lot of stuff is out (sacrifice throws and things that end with you landing hard on the ground)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Alot of gyms also have kickboxing classes also. So you can take that.

As for practacality, I disagree with Marie about the friends issue, watch you tube on regular street fights, alot of the fights go to the ground even when either parties friends are around.

Pavemnt part can be true, if you land on the opponent though when you take them down the opponent will get the worst end of any scratches or things you might bump into.

Learning what to on the ground will help you out, as well as learning to sprawl, and defend against take downs will help you out also.