• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it a MCdojo?

I dunno, I always use mcdojo for a school that hands out black belts to people that are nowhere near a real black belt level.

I don't attach age as the requirement of a good teacher; a 25 y/o can be a good instructor. Unfortunately, a lot of schools that teach high volumes of kids gravitate being a mcdojo in order to cater to the kid's and there parents so they can pay the bills of the school. Now, before someone misunderstands what I just said, I'm not saying every school with kids is a mcdojo, just that A LOT unfortunately end up being one because of the $. It doesn't even have to be a lot of $, but I come from a different background then a lot of martial artists in the USA so my opinion is just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions ;)

they say it takes about 5 yrs to get a blackbelt there... i say thats about reasonable.

Pain is good. Just not in large quantities.

----------------------------------------------

When I get into a fight, the guy laughs at me, then his friends laugh, then i laugh, so everyone's laughing. minutes after he throws the first punch its just me laughing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im in clarksburg, Md, and this area is growing really fast, so i imagine that they had to pay alot to get the slot in that shopping center. It opened in march, and the price: 130 bucks a month. seems like alot to me. our last belt exam cost us, 28 bucks. And when you say the 25 year old teachers are hard to come by, do you mean thats good or bad?

I think that $130 per month is a little extreme. I would not pay that much. However, $28 for a belt test is decent, compared to what I have seen in the past.

One thing you can do is search out other schools in your area, and watch and see how things are done. Compare the schools, ask questions, and then narrow your choices down to what you think you will like best, and go from there. If this is the only place in town, then you may be stuck.

well im in clarksburg, Md, and this area is growing really fast, so i imagine that they had to pay alot to get the slot in that shopping center. It opened in march, and the price: 130 bucks a month. seems like alot to me. our last belt exam cost us, 28 bucks. And when you say the 25 year old teachers are hard to come by, do you mean thats good or bad?

I think that $130 per month is a little extreme. I would not pay that much. However, $28 for a belt test is decent, compared to what I have seen in the past.

One thing you can do is search out other schools in your area, and watch and see how things are done. Compare the schools, ask questions, and then narrow your choices down to what you think you will like best, and go from there. If this is the only place in town, then you may be stuck.

thats the problem... i would, but

A) their schedule is HUGELY flexible to fit in with my school and my mom/dads work.

B) i have grown a bit emotionally attached to my instructors, they're kind and funny and i can ask them anything. As soon as i get into high school i will find a different place to practice a different art, and this time will search more diligently.

When I get into a fight, the guy laughs at me, then his friends laugh, then i laugh, so everyone's laughing. minutes after he throws the first punch its just me laughing.

If you have a website link that'd help to give us some more clues.

well i do have a website link but heres the problem: there are four owners. two of them handle the business, and two of them do the teaching. the business people set up the website, so it looks a bit cheesy.... heres the link.

keenkarate.com

By looking at just the website, it is hard to tell. You really have to see the quality of the students to get an idea.

Is the school affiliated with any national/international organization? What forms systems do you use? What are the sparring/self-defense curricula like?

There are a lot of questions that can be asked, and all of them may help to answer your question.

If you have a website link that'd help to give us some more clues.

well i do have a website link but heres the problem: there are four owners. two of them handle the business, and two of them do the teaching. the business people set up the website, so it looks a bit cheesy.... heres the link.

keenkarate.com

I am not American and do not train in the US but claims like this...

"Here is your chance to become the lean, fearless, stress-free person you have always wanted to be -- We Guarantee It!!"

...sort of ring alarm bells with me.

But that said, you can not judge a Karate club by its webs site.

Personally though, I would look into the more traditional arts. Maybe ask your sensei what "Ryu" the school's karate is based on.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

By looking at just the website, it is hard to tell. You really have to see the quality of the students to get an idea.

Is the school affiliated with any national/international organization? What forms systems do you use? What are the sparring/self-defense curricula like?

There are a lot of questions that can be asked, and all of them may help to answer your question.

the other peoplt attending our school are not so great.... we have one black belt, one who has good technique, then me, one whose technique isnt so great (but shes huge and can kick hard) and thre who are... um.... well, not good.

no, it is an independant place. we haven't sparred against each other yet (we start tommorow) but we "spar" against our instructors. ( they dont hit us bac, they dodge and when they see an opening they feign a punch or kick. ) they apply the self defense well.

P.S. bushido, is there more than one of you, because i see you on every single forum topic...

and how could you not have heard of Kicks karate? its the mcdonald of karate.

I'm English - we have GKR instead

oh im sorry i thought it was international

P.S. bushido, is there more than one of you, because i see you on every single forum topic...

Nope! Just one of me!!

If you have doubts as to the legitimacy of your school, then I would suggest you look around elsewhere. Otherwise, stick it out, and see how things progress.

alright guys probably the last post i willl make on this topic...

i've realized the prices are a bit extreme....

but im convinced that the instruction there is good.

so even if they are a bit business-y in trying to get customers...

when they do get, them, they teach them well...

thanks everyone here for there help!