• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know it's only exercise, but...

Have you noticed the trend lately towards "boxercise" being used as part of fitness programs? It's basically punching focus mitts for long enough to derive fitness benefit. I think it's not a bad idea, but whenever I see it on TV, two things annoy the heck out of me (often enough to get up and do some shadow boxing myself ;) ):

• Hands are always down. I know it's only exercise, but I can't help yelling at them to get their hands up! :D
  • The partner with the focus mitts always holds them wayyyyy wide. Are they training to fight the 3-headed knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Ever noticed anything like that?

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suppose when the emphasis is placed on getting a good workout, proper boxing technique is not stressed to greatly. I dont see a problem with it if all they are teaching is exercise.

I suppose when the emphasis is placed on getting a good workout, proper boxing technique is not stressed to greatly.

This is how I see it done, too. It can drive those of us who are technical about these things crazy, but they are just doing it for the exercise, as you mentioned. Tae Bo is bad about it, too.

I have done exercise like this in the past, and I have always felt that my workouts benefited much more than the others, because I concentrated on using my good, proper technique, as opposed to the sloppy stuff. It sure does make you tired! However, when the techniques are done right, you tend to be more efficient. Therefore, they could work out longer.

I have done exercise like this in the past, and I have always felt that my workouts benefited much more than the others, because I concentrated on using my good, proper technique, as opposed to the sloppy stuff. It sure does make you tired! However, when the techniques are done right, you tend to be more efficient. Therefore, they could work out longer.

Not to mention it allows you to practice your techniques and get a good workout at the same time... Martial arts multitasking? :D

Not to mention it allows you to practice your techniques and get a good workout at the same time... Martial arts multitasking? :D

Haha, there ya go!!! :karate:

As long as they aren't asserting that this sort of thing will save you in the event of an attack, I don't think it's a big deal. It's just another exercise fad.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

As long as they aren't asserting that this sort of thing will save you in the event of an attack, I don't think it's a big deal. It's just another exercise fad.

I agree lordatariel. I once read an article (in Black Belt Magazine maybe?) where a guy told of how annoyed he was at friends/people who would say they were into "kick boxing" when what they were "into" was aerobic-type kick boxing. So long as people realize that what they are doing is for exercise and, in the form they are learning it, is of little use in a fight/self-defense situation I don't have a problem with it (though it does bug me to see them use bad technique).

Ed

Ed

As other's have stated themselves, IMO people can go do these boxercise/kickfit classes if they like just as long as they recognise that they aren't getting fighting training. When someone tells me that they do boxing/kickboxing when all they do is cardio stuff, I tell them to hit me. None of them have managed it so far :karate:

On a sort of side note, here's a guy with extremely bad form. What really gets me is that he claims that these are martial arts punches which they are clearly not! (on the action replay his arms barely extend) & Guiness World Records goes and hands him a title!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TWz0n5EcR54

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah, there isn't much behind those punches. Apparently the only requirements were to make contact with a closed fist.

I also agree with you and Ed as for the aerobics kickboxing; when they say they do it, they should say that it is aerobic kickboxing/boxing.