• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

all that for 2 small punches? :P

move your hips foreward more, and don't push your guard so close together

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

all that for 2 small punches? :P

move your hips foreward more, and don't push your guard so close together

from the perspective of a boxer or muay thai guy, his guard is fine. when you fight you will notice that, especially when close to an opponent, a wide guard will get your face torn up. Ever watch young mike tyson fight? he would actually touch his cheeks with his gloves. This became known as the peek-a-boo guard.

However, when you are punching, pull your hand back to your face - you leave space in that video, which leaves you open to a counter puncher. when you are punching, your shoulder should guard on one side and your hand the other.

• 2 months later...

I agree that boxer's guard can be very tight, tighter than let's say Muay Thai.

but in the video looks like your blocking your own vision with your fists which would be bad. Maybe your not, but in the clip looks like it.

The Peekaboo defense, or having the fist directly touching your head (crazy monkey) I think is vital in boxing training but you need to take some shots to know how to place your hands against yourself if not, your gonna end up clocking yourself when you recieve a hit.

the hands are very straight in this video, which is probably making your hook awkward,

this is good to start with, I can tell you've beeing studying,

but check this clip out it should help, the range is much closer

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kITwbOWP8_I

:)

I agree that boxer's guard can be very tight, tighter than let's say Muay Thai.

but in the video looks like your blocking your own vision with your fists which would be bad. Maybe your not, but in the clip looks like it.

The Peekaboo defense, or having the fist directly touching your head (crazy monkey) I think is vital in boxing training but you need to take some shots to know how to place your hands against yourself if not, your gonna end up clocking yourself when you recieve a hit.

the hands are very straight in this video, which is probably making your hook awkward,

this is good to start with, I can tell you've beeing studying,

but check this clip out it should help, the range is much closer

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kITwbOWP8_I

:)

How that cat hits that double-end bag like that I have no idea? :o

Hey guys,

Have a look here and tell me what you think. Advice, pointers, (funny) heckling, whatever :)

Your feet seemed to be spread kind of far a apart and maybe even planted (I'm going by what your legs seemed to give the impression of). You're a much bigger guy than I am though and so perhaps for bigger men a wider stance is more appropriate. Me, I like to be up on my toes and feet close enough together where I gave not only bounce but move *rapidly* in whatever direction I want to go. I'm fast enough I can move straight backward from an attack. I like to move, and it is one of the things I count on. As an example, since you're bigger (I'm assuming heavyweight), and since you hold both your guards in front of your face, I would ever so often leap in with a left hook to the side of your jaw/head where your left guard is absent, I would then just as quickly break contact.

Hey guys,

Have a look here and tell me what you think. Advice, pointers, (funny) heckling, whatever :)

Looks pretty good, one bit of advice that my trainer always told me is that when you box, even just shadow boxing or bag work or whatever, you want to extend your jabs and crosses because it gets you use to your range. He always stressed that, especially in on the heavy bag, moving in and out to get in appropriate range for the movement of the punches.

Do not demand what you can not take by force.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm much better now than I was then, I should do another video. The stance is a little wider and deeper than a regulation boxing stance to allow for grappling; if I got too narrow I would be asking to get double-legged ;)

Since then I've been working on getting more hip and shoulder rotation on everything, I have better hooks and I've been snapping the punches back more. But yeah, I should do another video.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007