• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on "Japanese" terms in class.

DisgruntledGirl

Do you prefer to use the Japanese words?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to use the Japanese words?

• Yes
    • No
    • For some things
    • Doesnt matter to me.

I use English and Japanese, but, imho, speaking in Japanese doesn't add anything to the effectiveness of the techniques learnt/taught, nor does it add anything significant to that sensei/dojo/style. My students didn't come to me to learn some Japanese, they came to me to learn the martial arts! I didn't come to my Soke and my Dai-Soke to learn some Japanese, they're both from Okinawa, but I came to them to learn the martial arts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest obstacles for me while studying Soo Bahk Do was that the more Korean that was used, the more I had to process, and the more time it took for me to perform not a move but a series of moves--and that's assuming I got it right.

Consider the following series called out to be performed: Ahneso Pahkuro Mahk Kee, Choong Dan Kong Kyuk, Ahp Podo Cha Gi, Dullyo Cha Gi.

Translation: Middle block, middle punch, front kick, roundhouse kick.

Edit: Cutting the post's length.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I use English and Japanese, but, imho, speaking in Japanese doesn't add anything to the effectiveness of the techniques learnt/taught, nor does it add anything significant to that sensei/dojo/style.

Depends. Maybe not so much for smaller, localised orgs, but large multi-national orgs (like the one I'm in) it helps to have a standard that everyone knows. It doesn't have to be Japanese, it could be English but if it is Japanese as it so often is with Japanese MA (which makes sense) its good if everyone can learn it. I've been to seminars with and taught by Czech, French, Greenland, Russian, you name it and been to competitions with the same, not everyone knows English but because they all know the Korean its easy to instruct and command everyone. If you have a standard everyone knows in your style, you can travel anywhere in the world, look on any web page, or be taught by anyone and still know what they're talking about. But of course, if you don't travel much or get taught by those outside your native language it isn't that necessary.

Thinking about it, its a lot like Chemistry :D (I study it). We have IUPAC definitions and standards which are internationally recognised. Means I can read a paper from halfway across the world and still have an idea whats going on.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We start off using english terms for beginners. Then after a few weeks, they'll be told both the english and japanese terms. As they progress, they'll get only the japense. When being taught a new technique they'll get, for example "yoko geri keagi, side snap kick". Then they'll be expected to remember the japnese for it. Obviously they will already know geri as kick and yoko as side, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I like using the japanese terms. I feel like if I'm going to take the time to learn Karate, I might as well learn it properly!

I think learning the Japanese terms is good from a cultural perspective to gain a greater appreciation for where the art came from. However, as sensei8 stated, I don't think it provides any real benefit to the actual practice of the art. I think learning the techniques in your own language, whatever that may be, can help students pick things up easier, especially in the beginning. If you don't know what they're asking you to do, then its hard to perform the requested technique.

However, different people take martial arts with different interests and goals in mind, and its a big world, so there's plenty of room for those who teach in Japanese and those who don't. My personal preference is to teach and be taught in English as its my primary language, but I don't begrudge anybody who wants to do otherwise.

I think learning both is important. Someone has already mentioned that in order to participate in events you need to know the Japanese terms to be able to understand what is going on. It also helps one communicate on boards like this and be able to understand what the other person is referring to. The Japanese terms are the universal language of Karate world wide.

I can still remember one of my first Karate class doing leg raises and everyone was counting in Japanese and it came to my turn and I started Ichi, Ni, San, Shi, Go, “the one that comes after Go” Shichi..etc! No one said a word.

Not to be the politician here, I think it's important to use both. Knowing the english translation is important, but also to know how to say it in japanese is cool and important to remembering the roots.

Well thats my two cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that using Japanese terms is really more helpful, in reality practical. 1) It helps you focus more on the movements, cause you know exactly what to do. 2) Tournaments and exams to pass belts require that the Karate-ka know terms in both Japanese and English. 3) It adds an overall experience to the martial art itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I was already learning Japanese before I started doing Karate, so I'm happy to use the Japanese terms.

My dojo uses English and Japanese at different points. I think that the Japanese is clearer and more concise. Some of the English descriptions they've chosen for the moves are clumsy, overly wordy, and not very clear. They also differ from the English names given by other places, which confuses me know end when I'm watching videos.

So, purely for consistency from school to school, Japanese gets my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care much. A good thing about it is that in Japanese you have names on everything. If you don't want to use Japanese definitions, you must replace them with your own terms. For some techniques it is easy, like "front stance", "front kick" etc. But for some other techniques it can be hard to find a good and short name.

Japanese is a totally different language and that can make it hard to learn. I am not talented when it comes to language learning. Sometimes I forget what the name is and I show it instead. But when you want to communicate quickly with other karatekas, the Japanese terms can help you.

But there are also long Japanese names in karate, like "Heian Shodan" in shotokan karate. I prefer to say just "1" because it is much faster to do so...

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy