• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on "Japanese" terms in class.

DisgruntledGirl

Do you prefer to use the Japanese words?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to use the Japanese words?

• Yes
    • No
    • For some things
    • Doesnt matter to me.

I'm sure this have probably bin covered over and over in here but I just figured I'd start a new post about it anyway.

I've read articles etc that totally put down the whole use of Japanese terminology etc in the study of Karate (in english etc speaking countries) as I have also heard stuff like "It just wouldnt be Karate without them!!"

I was just wondering what many posters in this forum feel about them.... if they care at all one way or the other even.

Me personally? I kinda like the use of the Japanese terms for the techniques. I find that it gives you a lil bit of solidarity with other karatekas in that even if you dont speak the same language, if most/all people who studied Karate used the same terms, then at least some small level of understanding of what someone is talking about in reguards to training can be reached rather easily without much interpretation.... and other than that, being new to any of this kinda thing, I didnt really know the english terms for many of the techniques before anyway so its not that huge of a leap to learn the Japanese word along with the English at the same time.

However I dont tend to like, (though have no issue with using them either) the etiquette words so much. Like Usu uss whatever it is or Hai, I'd typically rather just say yes or "I will try" or hello or whatever your interpretation is that that word is supposed to mean. When it comes to words other than techniques I use them because it is expected or wanted (though not pushed "too" hard) but not necessarily cus I like to.

Oppinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I tend to like learning the Japanese terms. For one thing, using the terms is a more precise way of identifying techniques. For another, I'm in it for the cultural, historical, and philosophical aspects as well, so it only makes sense to learn the proper terms and such. But if I was solely learning for self defense, I don't think it would be necessary.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

We use both but I try to use the Jap. when I can.

When I train with my Sensei I understand a lot of what he says in Jap. but when I teach I find myself thinking about the words so I just use the English.

I like the counting in Jap. I think its simple numbers to say nice and loud that don't drag out of your mouth.

Sometimes we split the class and I teach one part and another person teaches the other side. Espically if we are doing drills liek kicking targets and then one of us will speak Jap. and the other Eng. just to keep our side clear on who is speaking.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I prefer to just use English when teaching it, speaking about it, etc. Even though I do a Korean style, I still feel the same way about it. I don't believe that the language native to the style really holds any nostalgic effect over it, and I don't believe you reduce the art if you don't use it. With English-speaking students, it is just easier to use the English.

Going beyond physical technique, I think Japanese is better when referring to a karate "principles" or "mindsets". For many of these, direct translations do not always exist, or if they do, they do not always fully explain the requirement.

I suppose it’s a case of how deep you want to look into your Karate. If you only want to learn the moves, then English would probably suffice, but this is really just scratching the surface. If you want to get to grips with the workings of your karate then I think it is important to at least try to look at it from a “Budo” perspective, and knowing and “understanding” the Japanese terms for this is key.

Terms like “Maai” are made a bit “two dimensional” when expressed (and only considered) in English as “distance” for example.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I don't do a Japanese style but I prefer to use the original language (in my case Korean) when referring to stuff like techniques or specific moves like bowing or stopping.

All the seminars and tournaments I've been to use Korean so if I didn't learn it I wouldn't have a clue what was going on. I think learning the language also helps remove ambiguity over what techniques are called. Like, for instance, a roundhouse kick. Where I train we don't call it a roundhouse, its a turning kick and that's only an English language variation. The same technique will be called other names in different countries so at multi-national events its just simpler to use a standard name.

In our club we've also found that the young children who take the time to learn Korean-English translations have better association skills and find it easier at school to link ideas and subjects... however this may be beacuse the ones that want to learn the Korean are more intelligent...

I like using non-English in the dojang as well because it makes me feel special :D . I don't know why it just does. It also seems to impress visitors when there's a load of kids wandering around counting in an Asian language...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My instructor teaches the Japanese for a good purpose. He said that when he was going to seminars lead by Japanese Black Belts, had he not learned the proper japanese terms in his own dojo, he would not have known what to do at these seminars. He said that he was one of a handful of Americans who did not feel "lost", at the seminar.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

It's funny how we use Japanese in karate instead of Okinawan.

Some styles do use "Okinawan", but most do use "Japanese" because they are Japanese styles.

Which "styles" would these be?