• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts in U.S.A.

actually, a couple of schools from the US to practice with us down here in Puerto Rico. The material is pretty much the same, however, the way they train is not the same and while our school only charges $5 per month to buy supplies: kicking pads, and so on,: they charge $80 per month.

I can afford to pay $80 per month but I'm glad I dont have to.

I've also noticed we usually have more contact in our schools here(and in Hawaii) than in the Continental States.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Martial arts in the U.S. costs too much to make it efficient. The U.S. doesn't seem like a good place for it at all. For example, in Thailand, there are "gyms" or whatever you wanna call them; practice places where poor people live. They practice there whenever they want because they live there and that's pretty much what they do in life. There are other ones though where people don't live, but over there it's like going to a park and playing basketball here.

But here in the U.S., you can't just "go to the park and practice martial arts" like that. Well, you could... But who does? There, many people. You can just jump right in.

Here, not so many, so you have to go to a dojo which charges like $100+ per month. Then of course you gotta buy gloves... Not just any gloves, but the ones they want you to buy. $20-30... Helmet, $100, and whatever else you need. The dojo I went to even made you pay for a new belt that you supposedly "earned", made you pay for tournament entry, a trivial little patch for the uniform, and the list goes on and on...

In my opinion, this is ridiculous and it kills the whole thing. The instructor I had is seriously world reknown, was an Olympic referee and one of the few Karate guys left who know all 60 whatever Kata in addition to knowing the heir of Shito-Ryu Karate closely.

While that's all good, that still doesn't justify the price in my opinion. I come from a family where my dad is an idiot and doesn't want to support his family. If I were in Thailand or other parts of Asia, I could go practice Martial arts. Here, I can't... Why? Because you need to pay a monthly fee, probably need insurance, and all this other trash just cuz we're in the U.S.A.

Now, as an individual educated in economics, I fully understand. I know that prices are high because if they weren't, people couldn't stay in business. I know all about building leasing, bills, etc... So I'm not angry at the individuals who do these things... I'm just saying the U.S. system doesn't seem to be ideal for martial arts... At least in my area. The government provides basketball and baseball locations and equipment in my area for free. I think this would be needed for martial arts to truely "take off" here.

It just sucks how something so cool was ruined for me because of high prices. When in fact in the originating countries, the poorer people are the ones who probably do it most anyway.

Anyone have any input? Advice?

You bring up some really great points. However, I have found that the really good schools in the US are usually the "hole in the wall" schools that few people know about. If you ask around enough and seem like a person of good character, I bet you can find someone who is extremely good that teaches at a their home/garage/ or a very small dojo. The prices on these types of places are usually very reasonable. Do some asking around.

My advice is to find another instructor. They are out there, you just have to do some searching.

P.S. What sport did your instructor referee? Karate never made it into the olympics. It's in the World Games however.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You know what bugs me though? How you have to pay to learn how to protect yourself. You shouldn't have to pay to prevent somebody from beating you up on the street. Its just not right.

The thing here is that if someone has knowledge or a skill that another doesn't, and that person spent a lot of time and training (and money) to get it, they may be reluctant to just give it away. This is true for many professions, like cooking, music, etc.

I think Martial arts in the U.S. costs too much to make it efficient. The U.S. doesn't seem like a good place for it at all. For example, in Thailand, there are "gyms" or whatever you wanna call them; practice places where poor people live. They practice there whenever they want because they live there and that's pretty much what they do in life. There are other ones though where people don't live, but over there it's like going to a park and playing basketball here.

But here in the U.S., you can't just "go to the park and practice martial arts" like that. Well, you could... But who does? There, many people. You can just jump right in.

I agree with a lot of what you said and am now asking you: what are you going to do to fix that?

I ran a school in a local park for about 2 years and did not charge anyone. I even promoted people in rank there and did not charge.

Are you willing to do the same?

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

You know what bugs me though? How you have to pay to learn how to protect yourself. You shouldn't have to pay to prevent somebody from beating you up on the street. Its just not right.

We still have to pay for vaccinations and antibiotics if we get pneumonia. I think society is a world away from complementary stuff to protect us by.

edit*** at least here in the States- I realize that some societies have complementary protection from the most common and spreadable death stuff :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

What is wrong about charging to teach people a skill they don't have? You think education is free? America is a world away from the Orient, and we believe in compensating people for their skills and knowledge. Now granted, there is a difference between charging a reasonable rate and charging what you can get away with. Just because people will pay $100 a month doesn't mean you should charge that much, unless you have rent that necessitates this. But people should be given things they can't get anywhere else: top notch instruction, 24 hour access, excellent equipment etc.

Everyone should have access to higher education. Is college free? No, because college is a privilege to be worked for. Martial arts and self defense training are privileges, not rights.

One of our Instructors teaches TKD to kids with severe social and family problems. He doesn't charge them, the agency he works for pays him per session. They still believe in compensating him for his skills and knowledge.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I agree with a lot of what you said and am now asking you: what are you going to do to fix that?

I ran a school in a local park for about 2 years and did not charge anyone. I even promoted people in rank there and did not charge.

Are you willing to do the same?

bat

If I started to teach in an organized fashion, I would charge. I feel that if I am going to offer services, then compensation would be the reward. Now, I don't think I could charge enough to make a living, but I don't think I would teach for free, in my own school.

Exactly. You are offering a service and knowledge worthy of compensation. I would be suspicious of anyone who doesn't charge anything for their services and receives no compensation. How good could it be? You know the old adage "You get what you pay for"?

You pay me for my skills and knowledge, and in return you get a training facility, gear, access to high level Instruction, visits from special guests with impeccable credentials, and special training opportunities. Sounds fair to me.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Here, not so many, so you have to go to a dojo which charges like $100+ per month. Then of course you gotta buy gloves... Not just any gloves, but the ones they want you to buy. $20-30... Helmet, $100, and whatever else you need. The dojo I went to even made you pay for a new belt that you supposedly "earned", made you pay for tournament entry, a trivial little patch for the uniform, and the list goes on and on...

In my opinion, this is ridiculous and it kills the whole thing. The instructor I had is seriously world reknown, was an Olympic referee and one of the few Karate guys left who know all 60 whatever Kata in addition to knowing the heir of Shito-Ryu Karate closely.

While that's all good, that still doesn't justify the price in my opinion. I come from a family where my dad is an idiot and doesn't want to support his family. If I were in Thailand or other parts of Asia, I could go practice Martial arts. Here, I can't... Why? Because you need to pay a monthly fee, probably need insurance, and all this other trash just cuz we're in the U.S.A.

Now, as an individual educated in economics, I fully understand. I know that prices are high because if they weren't, people couldn't stay in business. I know all about building leasing, bills, etc... So I'm not angry at the individuals who do these things... I'm just saying the U.S. system doesn't seem to be ideal for martial arts... At least in my area. The government provides basketball and baseball locations and equipment in my area for free. I think this would be needed for martial arts to truely "take off" here.

It just sucks how something so cool was ruined for me because of high prices. When in fact in the originating countries, the poorer people are the ones who probably do it most anyway.

1. it HAS to cost a lot. it's not about being commercial, it is about making a living. It is great to live in a nostalgic place where people teach simply to pass on the art, but the reality is that many people teach either to make a living or to supplement their living, and you cannot do that by teaching for free.

2. in the "originating countries" back in the day, what else did they have to do? what was the economy like? what is the economy like now? How many teachers are there compared to in the US?

3. There ARE low cost alternatives. check your local rec center or YMCA. sometimes you can find goldmines there. In my city, we have a 3 time national champion judoka who teaches for $10 a month at a rec center in the hood. At another rec center we have MMA classes being taught for free.

4. baseball is our national pastime. basketball is probably second. Of course such things will be provided for free. If you want more martial arts taught economically, be proactive about it. when I was in college, we started our own MA club. we made a charter and had the school to fund it. Do something similar. talk to local instructors and see if any of them would be willing to teach classes at local rec centers and YMCAs. you may find assistant instructors who would me more than willing to try and head up their own program.

Keep looking. If you can't find anything, be proactive.