• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can someone tell me what this means?

Kante

I was reading an article regarding the reverse punch and makiwara training, and at some point there was an explanation on how to build a proper makiwara:

ny of you "old timers" remember Frank Smith? During the 1960's Frank Smith WAS the "powerhouse" of American Shotokan Karate. He was a TANK and executed the powerful direct style of Shotokan perfectly. His trademark was the REVERSE PUNCH! He developed his technique on a specially constructed "makiwara". This is what WE will use for our BASE. Here's how we start - One block of wood 6" x 6" x 6" lagged to the floor or wall (stud or concrete) another block attached at the angle of the wall and ceiling. Four eye-hooks, each attached on the SIDES of the blocks. One inch pine board that runs from floor block to ceiling block about 8 feet long and 8 inches wide. TWO bungee cords. One goes from eye-hook to eye-hook on the BOTTOM block securing that end of the board, and one doing the same on the top block.

There is YOUR BASE "makiwara". NOW as your punching improves you can KEEP ADDING BOARDS! And replacing the ones you shatter! NOW here's OUR addition! Get TWO more bungee cords. Get an IMPACT PAD from KAM Industries in NJ. Secure the pad at solar plexus/chest height with the bungees.

There you GO! You can use the Impact Pad and see and feel the developing speed and power WITHOUT a training partner. As your technique develops and gets STRONGER you ADD boards! Overload training for your PUNCH! The only HARD part here is "developing" the RIGHT and proper technique. Kimura Sensei always said that YOU DO NOT "train" or "practice" Karate as much as you STUDY IT. Think about that. Every repetition of EVERY technique is a COMPLETE STUDY of body mechanics, speed, power dynamics, balance and EFFECTIVENESS unto itself.

My makiwara is about 4 boards of wood nailed to a wall, with each board taller than the one before it leaving one area of wood with some space behind it to be hit.

If you've read the article, do you know if it's possible to develop such technique on my makiwara without having any knuckle conditioning involved?

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There will always be some conditioning on the knuckles when training with the makiwara, but I dont see what the problem with it would be anyway?

Well it's not called conditioning unless you peel your knuckle skin completely off. Now I've done that before but is the makiwara mentioned in the article any different or serves a different purpose?

The thing is (I don't think I ever didn't say this part at some point in my posts) I want to strengthen my tsuki and condition my knuckles separately so I'd get a better result rather than hitting the makiwara 200 times both hands and stop for a while until I heal.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

Perhaps there is another view of conditioning that you may consider. To improve punching the density of the bones would be as important as having tough skin on your knuckles. This is where I would use the makiwara in conjunction with press-ups on knuckles (if over 16/18 ) and other forearm/grip strengthening exercises.

Protect the skin using some light bag gloves while using the makiwara and then build up the toughness of the skin/hands using another training tool - e.g. heavy leather bags, sand etc..

Phil Smith

3rd Dan Instructor

USKO Wado-Ryu

United Kingdom

Frank Smith was definately a power-house, along with James Fields and Ray Dalke. However, their power was not necessarily due to the Makiwari. It was due to Many, Many hours of proper training and coaching at International instructor/team levels. Yes, Makiwari was "ONE" of the tools used, but don't think that hitting the Makiwari incorrectly 2,000 times a day is going to give you that type of power. Timing, Breathing Timing, Kime, proper stance, proper punch, etc., all come into play for power. Also, most knuckle issues, tears, chaffed skin, abraisions, etc., are almost always due to improper technique and timing of hitting/striking the Makiwari...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/