• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Central Intelligence Agency Fighting Style

Johnlogic121

Should this martial art be taught openly?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should this martial art be taught openly?

• Yes, American citizens should be able to learn it
    • No, it should be kept a government secret

If such a style exists, then that is awesome, and I'm glad the people protecting us are so well trained. However, those types of things aren't really what I'm looking for in a martial art. However, as we all study martial arts for different reasons, so I can't speak for everyone.

Food for though: Gichin Funakoshi's 9th precept was "Karate is a lifelong pursuit"

A monk walked into a pizzeria and said, "Make me one with everything."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trend is to go to packaged products that can be easily taught to a wide variety of people quickly. Some are more effective than others.

Blauer's SPEAR system has really taken off with lots of units of government and is utilized extensively by federal LE and the military. There are others out there, for instance, the Gracies developed a specific ground program for certain units.

It's usually far more efficient to get results from some of these programs than look to complex codified systems that take years to get down. Some of them are very good.

A lot of that tallgeese boils down to effectiveness of training. How much time can anyone spend on a skill that will very rarely be called into use? While a law enforcement branch might see far more of it than most military units, it still isn't going to be high priority. Not with a laundry list of other skills that have to be mastered for daily operations.

So, when budgeting your time, your going to look for the most efficient way to train a skill so that it can be brought up to the required levels and maintained with the least investment of time. the SPEAR program, and some others work very well. I could, with a few weeks of time and tought pair down most traditional karate to a core program meant to gain quick proficiency. It will look at lot like the MCMAP from what I know of it. There will be some changes and things done differently, but the idea is to put out simple, effective skills that can be learned quickly, applied in a lot of situations and you can simply build off of later.

As I think I've said before, I don't think there is any "magic bullet" of systems that makes supermen out of anybody in just a few hours, letting them easily defeat much better conditioned and highly skilled fighters. If there were, it would be out there and everyone would be doing it. There is no conspiracy by traditional martial artists trying to keep this information from the public.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I agree.

However, sometimes it's easier to start from an end point and build a program around that than pair down an existing, diverse system. Not to mention, usually those developing these sorts of things have intimate operational knowledge of 1) the situations most encountered for that core group, 2) they types on individuals that they will be training, and 3) time and resources to analyzing a wide array of data to help put together their program.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I do think that, in most instances, it is easier to go with a goal oriented package for wide dissemination to people in these jobs.

I totally understand. With a knowledge base that includes everything that is operationally needed, of course the end product and training will be better.

If I were a 20 year vet of SWAT work, experienced in martial arts etc, I would know more about the needs of SWAT officers in hand to hand situations than a man with twice my knowledge base in martial arts, but without the police experience.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine