• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Humph! No need to get cheeky! *ahem*

TKD: The Final Human Weapon Review. (AKA: Taekwondo! it's Taekwon-fun!)

Alright folks- it's the final episode of season 1 (and maybe forever). So why not cover the most popular art in the world? The final episode is fairly good- the goofy pop look into an art is in order with all its good and bad parts, and the fight is one of the best in the series. In fact, the whole thing is like one long commercial for teakwondo- it certainly came off looking like one of the toughest arts that they have shown. By now you should know the drill; they start off by going to a home base (the 'cookie kawn' as they called it), and pick up a tornado kick. This is followed by a security firm visit (kick combo), a group of Tekkyon (sp?) revivalists (a textbook back kick), a hwanrangdo group, and the big spar. This is of course filled with the usual somewhat questionable historical 'facts' and one liners, but it is fun to watch. The final fight is brutal, with both hosts getting fight ending injuries. All in all, a good one, and we'll see if the History Channel picks it up again. However I recently saw a little show called fight quest and...I think they have competition. Details in the fight quest thread.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...
I caught the first episode of this new series on The History Channel tonight. It really wasn't all that bad. This episode is on Muay Thai. Essentially, what these guys do is go to the country, learn some history behind the fighting style, do some training, and then, one of them climbs into the ring to fight in the style.

Although I think that they tried to do their training in a round-about way, what they encountered was interesting to listen to, and the history was fun, as well.

Did anyone else see it?

I enjoy the show, but there have been many problems with it.

They told people, in one animation clip, that the human liver is on the left side of the body (incorrect.) Then in a later clip they said it is on the right (correct).

They also perpetuated the old "Shove his nose-bones into his brain" myth on an episode. Anyone who has had a decent anatomy class knows this is simply not possible.

Other problems are the way Duff is always hitting people outside of the rules. That is really lame.

But, I enjoy the show when I catch it on.

I have caught myself rolling my eyes here and there during some of the dialogue of the show. However, I have enjoyed it overall.

I would love to see a Capoeira episode and a Western Boxing episode as well.

I caught the first episode of this new series on The History Channel tonight. It really wasn't all that bad. This episode is on Muay Thai. Essentially, what these guys do is go to the country, learn some history behind the fighting style, do some training, and then, one of them climbs into the ring to fight in the style.

Although I think that they tried to do their training in a round-about way, what they encountered was interesting to listen to, and the history was fun, as well.

Did anyone else see it?

I enjoy the show, but there have been many problems with it.

They told people, in one animation clip, that the human liver is on the left side of the body (incorrect.) Then in a later clip they said it is on the right (correct).

They also perpetuated the old "Shove his nose-bones into his brain" myth on an episode. Anyone who has had a decent anatomy class knows this is simply not possible.

Other problems are the way Duff is always hitting people outside of the rules. That is really lame.

But, I enjoy the show when I catch it on.

Heh, the nose thing really riled me up. The fights are staged though-not full contact (although the TKD guy apparently didn't get the memo).

Also Human weapon's future is shaky- it might be gone for good.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Shakey future? Jason and Bill are enjoyable, if not always accurate. What have you heard or where NightOwl?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

oh aye, I agree, I like the show. The shaky future bit comes from no season 2 having been cleared. The HW homepage is not being updated, and e-mails sent to the History channel get a response along the lines of 'we haven't decided on the show yet'. It is a scripted show, so the writer's strike might have affected it somewhat, however the longer that it is in limbo, the less chance of it coming back. Bill Duff posted on a popular martial arts forum that he is waiting to see if the History channel tries to pick up the show again, but in the meantime is working on other projects so... if it comes back is unknown.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Hopefully it's more writer's strike mess. I know that Human Weapon, along with a host of other shows were added this season by a new head at the network that runs the HC. So, they may not have opted to buy new episodes until they saw what sold and what didn't. Then toss in the strike and you have everyone sitting around.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine