• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I caught the first episode of this new series on The History Channel tonight. It really wasn't all that bad. This episode is on Muay Thai. Essentially, what these guys do is go to the country, learn some history behind the fighting style, do some training, and then, one of them climbs into the ring to fight in the style.

Although I think that they tried to do their training in a round-about way, what they encountered was interesting to listen to, and the history was fun, as well.

Did anyone else see it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the sensei I've studied under is married to a Thai woman. They go to Thailand once/year to visit her family and he has a brother-in-law that teaches Muay Thai and has his fighters competing often. One thing this instructor told me is that a serious Muay Thai fighter has a very short "life span" in the sense of serious competition, as the training is very rigorous and it's very hard on the body. Most are totally burned out in their late 20's to early 30's.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Yes, bushido_man96, I did watch it. I thought it was pretty good and enjoyed seeing and learning about the different regional styles of muay thai and the cultural aspects of their training. From what I have read on Google News, Human Weapon has taped nine episodes and waiting to see the viewer response before commiting to a second season.

I'm looking forward to the next show. I believe it's on Phillipino MA.

One of the sensei I've studied under is married to a Thai woman. They go to Thailand once/year to visit her family and he has a brother-in-law that teaches Muay Thai and has his fighters competing often. One thing this instructor told me is that a serious Muay Thai fighter has a very short "life span" in the sense of serious competition, as the training is very rigorous and it's very hard on the body. Most are totally burned out in their late 20's to early 30's.

I am not surprised to hear this. It is why so few end up making it really big. I wonder if they could work on careers in MMA, though, after, say, 10 or 15 years of Thai training? Or do you think they are just too broken down?

Yes, bushido_man96, I did watch it. I thought it was pretty good and enjoyed seeing and learning about the different regional styles of muay thai and the cultural aspects of their training. From what I have read on Google News, Human Weapon has taped nine episodes and waiting to see the viewer response before commiting to a second season.

I'm looking forward to the next show. I believe it's on Phillipino MA.

I thought it went well, and I hope it does stick.

Yeah, next weeks is in the Phillipenes. I think it will be great.

yea, I really enjoyed it. its about time they made a decent MA show. every MA show out there tries to make us look like super human kung fu ninja guys. this show is all about what real martial arts training is.

Agreed. :D

Although I did think that the way they went around to different "styles," trying to hodge-podge techniques together, was kind of corny, they still did a good job.

I caught that show, pretty good. I think the hosts were dreaming about besting those guys but it was a good show :D .

Hearing that the kids can start professional at the age of 12 its no wonder they burn out so fast, they havent even given themselves time to quit growing. Its about time that some MA show other than MMA was given some serious prime time air.