• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making sure I'm paying attention maybe?

DisgruntledGirl

I mean no offence but I think this down to something in you. From the posts you have made and from the threads you have started, you are obviously very conscious about how you are, how you perform and how you appear in the martial arts class. If you have this mentality, even if he isn't paying you any attention, you will think he is. All I can say is, don't bother thinking about other people; concerntrate on yourself.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I mean no offence but I think this down to something in you. From the posts you have made...All I can say is, don't bother thinking about other people; concerntrate on yourself.

Ah... we have one vote for it probably being "immagined" or mental on my part.

Whether it is as much the case as you feel it is or not... I'm fairly certain that what you are suggesting is probably at least a small part of it, I do tend to be a lil self-conscious.

Ah... we have one vote for it probably being "immagined" or mental on my part.

Whether it is as much the case as you feel it is or not... I'm fairly certain that what you are suggesting is probably at least a small part of it, I do tend to be a lil self-conscious.

Again, without meaning any offence, merely stating what I have observed, you seem to me to be someone who has a sort of love-hate relationship with attention. On the one hand, you say you are somewhat unfortable with eye contact and whatnot but then again, you also say that you say "ouch" a lot during class for whatever reason. If you do this during a class, you are bound to get some sort of attention, especially from who-ever it is running the class. But then you pass it off as nothing with your "I'm ok". In what you have said, you are the one who seems overly concerned with what your instructor is doing or where he is looking.

As I said before, concerntrate on what you are doing.

speak much, wrong much

Again, without meaning any offence, merely stating what I have observed, you seem to me to be someone who has a sort of love-hate relationship with attention. On the one hand, you say you are somewhat unfortable with eye contact and whatnot but then again, you also say that you say "ouch" a lot

Hmmm I'm thinking you have mistaken many things which I have said (youve apparently even seen some things that I havent even said at all) as I comment on only a small part of what is going on in class and it "appears" as if you have blown some of my minor points into rather large character traits that may or may not be the actual case.

No offence has been taken still, but I think in a text based conversation often times things can be easily misconstrued, though I still appreciate what you are saying.

Maybe I'm confusing your posts with someone else. The thing on my mind though, is why this matters to you. Do you want the attention you feel you are getting? Do you not want the attention? What do you think of the attention? I mean, I said that it's in your head and you reply that you think that it is a small part of it. That infers that you hve thoughts on it already. So what are you thoughts on it?

speak much, wrong much

When I give a long winded explanation I often look for the people who are paying attention. I almost talk directly to them because they seem to care. If this were happening in my class, it would be because you give the impression that you care about what I'm saying. I think him looking at you while talking is a good thing.

That is the same impression that I have when talking in class. I like it when people seem interested in what I am saying, and I draw towards them more, because they want to learn.

If he's looking at you, your face, then he's talking to "you" because you are showing interest and others are not...

However, if he's talking to you, and his eyes are looking other than the face, there might be an issue. Of course, unless he's correcting technique, there may be a reason to look other than the face.

Many in the classes are looking down or at the ceiling when the instructor is talking in an dis-interested manner. 3, 4, or 5 may be interested and will be attentive looking at the instructor. A good instructor will focus their attention to these persons with eye contact. Most presentors, in most presentation environments (I use to do a lot of presentations), will maintain good eye contact with their audience - teaching karate (or MA) is no different.

So it could be either way. Just notice where the eyes wonder too, you versus others, that's usually a dead give-a-way... But then again, some presentors can only do direct eye contact for about a secon, then will look down or other places. A good presentor will maintain good eye contact for as long as the focus of interest is necessary.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I think I remember in one of your previous posts that you ask your sensei alot of questions. Maybe he is just feeling the need to directly look at you in hopes that he will answer any questions you may have before actually having to ask them.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think I remember in one of your previous posts that you ask your sensei alot of questions. Maybe he is just feeling the need to directly look at you in hopes that he will answer any questions you may have before actually having to ask them.

I dont think I ask that many questions to be honest.... but I do think I remember the post that you are talking about in that I would stupidly "question" the sensei as to what I was supposed to be doing or whatever. And these type of "questions" could never really be answered beforhand I dont think so I am not sure talking directly to me about the history of this or the other would fix that... they would be more about him correcting me in the middle of a technique and because I had/have so little understanding of the thing I'd do stupid things like start off with "b-but, if I did that then..." implying that I wasnt sure how it could work with the correction.

Wasnt really a matter of a lot of questions. Was more of a matter of ignorance and every once in a while getting mixed up and whatever came into my head came pouring out of my mouth without filtering. I'm pretty sure I've fixed that for the most part a little while ago though (probably started right after making that initial post :P a few months ago ).... I hope I have anyway.

I really do think I come off a lot more annoying in these forums than I'd like to think I am in real life. :lol: Lets just hope anyway :D