• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making sure I'm paying attention maybe?

DisgruntledGirl

For some reason... most of the time when Sensei goes off onto a tangent to heavily explain something, whether it be a technique or just some history or ettiquette... I feel as though more often than not, he is looking *directly* at me and pretty much only me (and not in a "pervy" kind of way so dont worry)... not always, but often enough.

And not only him. I feel the same thing with the black belt that he has leading the class while he is away at some tournaments.

I am not really as weirded out about it as I would have thought I mighta bin (generally in life I dont tend to like to be looked at for too long) and am not creeped out at all. In fact it does make *sure* that I am indeed paying attention. But I was wondering if maybe this is just a tactic many Senseis use in that every once in a while they will pick one person to focus on (mainly just while speaking, not so much when we are practicing anything or working out as I dont seem to be overly corrected or overly complimented by the sensei while doing most techniques) during class to make each of us feel "special" :kiss: and I just havent noticed that their focus changes from class to class?

Or could I just be immagining the whole thing?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It may be a tactic he is using to make sure you pay attention. Watch him more in the next class, and see if he does so with anyone else.

If you are making eye contact with him, and no one else does, this may draw him to make eye contact with you.

It may be a tactic he is using to make sure you pay attention. Watch him more in the next class, and see if he does so with anyone else.

I like to *think* I pay pretty good attention for the most part, I never really think of checking to see if he does it to anyone else untill I'm already in the midst of a good 'ol stare down :lol: at which point its too late

If you are making eye contact with him, and no one else does, this may draw him to make eye contact with you.

Dunno, maybe that has something to do with it. I do maintain eye contact as much as possible in those situations... not so much because its something I would normally do but because I figure with the whole MA thing of trying to get "stronger" I figure it wouldnt be appropriate in class at least to come off as too weak or "afraid" to maintain eye contact with someone (generally I dont maintain eye contact easily with people I do not know well) so I tend to make it more of a point to try to stick to it in class.

When I give a long winded explanation I often look for the people who are paying attention. I almost talk directly to them because they seem to care. If this were happening in my class, it would be because you give the impression that you care about what I'm saying. I think him looking at you while talking is a good thing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

it would be because you give the impression that you care about what I'm saying. I think him looking at you while talking is a good thing.

Cool. Hope so.

Might be 'cus I'm not *so* new anymore in that Im not always thinking about "what did he say to do with this hand? my foot goes where? what the heck were all those words he was using?" etc. that the white belts might be doing... that I actually *can* focus entirely on what he is saying and also I'm not so "experienced" with it either that maybe the higher ranks have heard him say some of this stuff over and over and therefore might not feel the need to focus on it quite as much as I still do.

it would be because you give the impression that you care about what I'm saying. I think him looking at you while talking is a good thing.

Cool. Hope so.

Might be 'cus I'm not *so* new anymore in that Im not always thinking about "what did he say to do with this hand? my foot goes where? what the heck were all those words he was using?" etc. that the white belts might be doing... that I actually *can* focus entirely on what he is saying and also I'm not so "experienced" with it either that maybe the higher ranks have heard him say some of this stuff over and over and therefore might not feel the need to focus on it quite as much as I still do.

He is bound to make eye contact with someone while explaining something. Especially if hes explaining something on his own.

Imagine how "weird" it would seem if he was taking to the class whilst looking at the wall behind you? Or at the ground.

There are different ways that people react with in Karate lessons when being taught something. Some people don't look at their Sensie at all and settle with listening (Those are the ones that will immediately ask their partner to reexplain it to them). There are also those that only look at their Sensie's movements. And then there are people like you, that look straight into their Sensie's eyes.

Now what you're doing is great. As not making eye contact with your Sensie reflects lack of attention and effort to understand. Which often causes the Sensie's to avoid putting so much effort into further explaining more in depth details of techniques to you due to the fact that you did not seem to be that interested last time.

Same thing goes in Kumite. You could at times find out what you're going to face before the main judge gives you the signal to start fighting. Make eye contact with your opponent and don't lower your chin. If your opponent fails to continue making eye contact with you and looks away then in most cases it is safe to assume that he will not deliver his best.

Do not count on that though. As sometimes that tool may be used to your advantage by deliberately not looking in your opponent's eyes to implement an illusion of relief in him causing him to decrease his focus and concentration after his personal conclusion of having a weak opponent. And after that, you may change your attitude by 360 degrees causing him to be in a great fear and shock and further loosing his focus.

I might have curved from the topic but I thought you'd want to hear this.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

Has anybody stopped to consider that maybe she might be just be really cute?

:brow:

:D

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Some people don't look at their Sensie at all and settle with listening (Those are the ones that will immediately ask their partner to reexplain it to them). There are also those that only look at their Sensie's movements. And then there are people like you, that look straight into their Sensie's eyes. .

Yup I figure either of the last two would be fine though. Depending on what he is doing, looking into his eyes might very well let you see his movements as well (though sometimes not well enough), and sometimes you really do need to mainly focus on his movements or you just wont "get it"... but those times he is typically not looking at anyone in particular and is focusing on his own body.

I use his eyes quite frequently... or moreso his face for cues when I am doing something wrong before he has to "say" anything. Say I had done something not quite right and I will look over to him and see him just starting to come to me and I can usually tell what he is thinking and fix it long before he actually gets to me, he just laughs.

Same thing goes in Kumite...

I might have curved from the topic but I thought you'd want to hear this.

no prob. Always good to pick up a tactic here and there. I honestly havent done as much kumite yet as I would have thought I would by this time, but honestly I think I am just now getting used to the idea of hitting something/someone anyway (have no problem being hit, was just always afraid of hitting someone) so I dont mind too much.... though hope I get started with more soon.

:lol: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

hmmmmm could be? :idea:

Nah, I can assure you I am as average as they come... pluss when the sweat is dripping from my face/hair in class I dont think that is one of my most particularly attractive moments anyway.

:brow:

:D

Well, I based my answer on the fact that he is a Karate instructor and not some horny 15 year old.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee