• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tiger Schullman's ... good or bad?

krunchyfrogg

Is it too pricey?

IIRC, it's labeled as a "McDojo" but i've never actually been to one. One just opened about 20 minutes from my home.

Any and all advice is helpful.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just seeing this post now.

I had nephews that attended Tiger Schullman's and while they had nothing bad to say about it, in my humble opinion it is viewed as a McDojo. Now, that being said, I do not like to say negative things about other schools or styles but my opinion is based upon the way they promote their school. I see it also geared more towards the very, very young.

If you want to zero in on a particular style, it's best to find a school that will cater to that. For example, do you want to learn a more internal martial arts or a more self defense based one?? Read the forums here to get a better understanding and hopefully that will help you to decide what area you'd like to study.

Have fun ! :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, there really are no bad schools, just bad instructors. It may be a "McDojo", but if it is run by a good "McSensei", it is still a good place to train.

I checked out a Tiger Schulman's near me once. This was before MMA was popular and I was impressed by the fact that they were combining styles.

However, I did have a couple of issues with this school (I don't know if this is all their schools or just this one)...

First of all, they couldn't give me a straight answer when I asked how much it cost to train. It depended on how many nights a week I wanted to train and whether I wanted to be in the Black Belt Program (who joins a karate school and doesn't "want" to eventually be black belt)

Secondly, the took me in a room and showed me a video of Tiger Scholman doing all sorts of cool things. I was quite impressed and asked how often he was there to teach. "Well, never" they told me. I would have rather seen video of the instructor that would have actually been teaching.

The school wasn't for me, but you would have to make your own decision by watching some classes.

I agree....it's the sensei that matters. Many schools that are considered "chains or McDojo's" have good programs and are not belt factories due to the quality of instruction and the performance standards that are enforced. It is the schools that promote regardless of skills just to keep the students happy that give us all a bad rap.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/