• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Match.

Aces Red

Today in Ryukyu Kempo class was my first time sparring in Ryukyu Kempo and we used touch contact rules. I spared against a good friend of mine down at the dojo, who is a beast in Jiu-Jitsus and is a Green Belt. I however am a white belt in Ryukyu Kempo, which is basically a Striking Art.

Now he was new to Ryukyu Kempo and is a white belt within this fighting system, so this may have contributed to my success, because I have more experience then him in this style as I have practiced this style for a longer period of time. He is still fresh to it.

The match began using the Touch Contact Rules Point Rules with a Two Minute Time Limit, meaning we only attack at four too seven- percent power. We were being critiqued as we sparred as well.

We are not required to bow or shake hands before our opponent, but when you spar me I always bow and shake hands with my advisory and people usually do the same in return. We touched knuckles so as to show that we were ready and the match began. I opened up with the first attack using three punches and then a kick, a very difficult attack to block. I repeated this attack pattern three times till he caught on so as when I switched my attack pattern I would throw him off guard. After the third three punches I feinted with my right leg opening him up for an attack from my fist as I knew he expected me just to throw a Tai Kick.

The punch landed and I shifted my attack pattern once again. This time I would use a flurry of punches threw four punches is quick succession, but slow enough so as not to fight outside the speed limit. Again I caught him off guard. I predicted that he was thinking I was going to use the same move over again, but this time once I took a couple of hits from him I backed off and moved into a tactical position. This would allow me to gain some distance between him and I, because I have the reach advantage; my height nearly being six inches taller then him (I’m the tallest guy there standing 6’3. The tallest guy next to me is 5’7).

I then opened up with a series of kicks so as to create a gap between him and I, landing my kicks near his left and right ankle successfully. He then after about the third kick began blocking my kicks to the lower part of his body, so I aimed for the mid section near his stomach and chest landing a few hits. It was then the girl with the clock announced, “Thirty Second Warning!” I then began my punch kick, punch, kick… combo until he again caught onto my attack sequence. By the time that had happened the 10-second warning was announced.

My sparring partner then opened up with a flurry of attacks, but I had successfully kept my distance with the kicks from the earlier combo that I had enough distance so as to avoid being attacked. By the time the clock beeped the match was over. We bowed before one another, shacked hands, patted each other on the back, and bowed towards our sensei even though non-of this is required.

We then awaited the judgement of the score keepers and I had scored of 8, 9, 8 for a total of 23 my scorecard, while he scored a combination of 7, 6, 6 for a total of 19. I had won my first sparring match in Ryukyu Kempo.. I was so happy! 

Also this guy kicks my butt when we roll in Jiu-Jitsu time after time again. So we each have our strengths and weaknesses in both areas of fighting and we build off one another in different

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good Job! I think you'll find your height to be a definite advantage. Sounds like you're already learning to change things up and keep your opponent guessing. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

So, just out of interest, if your mate kicks your behind in Ju-jitsu, but you fair beat him in kempo, what do you think would be the out come if you were fighting using both codes?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Well done. Keep working on your combinations. The more, the better.

How exactly does the scoring system work? I was a little confused as to what scores and what doesn't.