• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training without a gi

Do you think its better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its better?

• Yes
    • No

I wonder about styles with no grappling though, do they, technically speaking, require a gi/dobok/etc?

I think that Funakoshi adopted the gi from Kano, and the rest have followed suit. We wouldn't really need to wear a gi, but I kind of like mine. It does make some moves sound crisp, and they are good for kicking and moving in.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally practice as part of my overall workout program, so I more often than not don't wear one. However, if I go to a class I wear one of my doboks.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I just bake in my GI and glad it's optional in our dojo, with the excetion we wear the bottoms and school issued t-shirt. Im not going to be wearing my GI on the street when I get confronted.

Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way !

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: my instructors made fun of me when i didn't come wearing my Gi.

Its extra suffering for us (:sobbing)when we wear long pants, a shirt, and a jacket (my regular ensemble) while doing dibs, sit ups, push ups, jogging, jumping jacks, stamina kicking, etc.

So even if i thought it was better..... doesnt matter. i still have to wear one :sobbing:

Pain is good. Just not in large quantities.

----------------------------------------------

When I get into a fight, the guy laughs at me, then his friends laugh, then i laugh, so everyone's laughing. minutes after he throws the first punch its just me laughing.

Personally I take any opportunity I can to train in nothing but my underpants.

I find it really relaxing, and if truth be told the ladies love it.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

depends on what tradition you want to approach...uniforms {including gi's}are alright if you want to create a feeling cohesiveness or belonging..

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Doboks remind us as a group that we are there for a singular purpose. It is not necessary to wear one when practicing alone. But as part of class, I strongly believe in using them and standardizing them. To that end, color belts wear one type, black belts wear another. I don't believe in letting each black belt decide for himself what type or color to wear. For me, there is only one color. You want to wear a non-standard dobok? Don't come to class.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I think its better to train without a gi. For one thing, you learn grappling more realistically because on the street, you are not going to have the luxury of wearing a gi all the time, so if you are taught moves where you have to grab the gi, you might tear your opponents t-shirt and they can escape moves or even make your defence drop.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but in response to the initial post - with practice, you are able to adapt your kumikata - you can grab clothes without them tearing and perform throws, chokes, etc. gi and no gi both have their advantages, neither is better than the other.

gi and no gi both have their advantages, neither is better than the other.

I agree here. The clothing isn't what is important; the training is.

Agreed- I think it also depends more on what you want to get out of the practice :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu