• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training without a gi

Do you think its better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its better?

• Yes
    • No

I think its better to train without a gi. For one thing, you learn grappling more realistically because on the street, you are not going to have the luxury of wearing a gi all the time, so if you are taught moves where you have to grab the gi, you might tear your opponents t-shirt and they can escape moves or even make your defence drop.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure there have been several threads on this topic. However, I'll put in my 2 cents.

You're right. Nobody wears a gi outside in the "street." However, during winter months it's not uncommon to see coats and jackets that are just as usable for "gi techniques." In grappling, the gi slows down the movement and forces the opponents to be far more technical.

Training without the gi has many benefits as well. That is what you'll see in the summer months. I don't, however, agree with training in just grappling shorts and no shirt. Not only is it likely to spread disease (ring worm and warts to name a few), but is also very unrealistic.

In the end, the most realistic "uniform" would probably be pants and a t-shirt.

That's my opinion.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Ps1 has a great post. There are benefits and detractors of each. I think a steady dose of each is a good idea. As far as realism goes, coming in with street close on and training will give you the most realism.

However, training in something different from time to time, just for fun, or to shake things up, is always good for training.

Ps1 has a great post. There are benefits and detractors of each. I think a steady dose of each is a good idea. As far as realism goes, coming in with street close on and training will give you the most realism.

However, training in something different from time to time, just for fun, or to shake things up, is always good for training.

I agree. I wish we would have these days where we could wear shorts and a school shirt instead of or traditional gi. Down here in Alabama, this fat boy sweats like a pig when its 98 degrees outside with 90% humidity, even with the A/C on inside. I dont mind sweating, as a matter of fact I like to sweat, but it is fun to change the routine up a bit from time to time.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

My answer is no, simply because the gi-using MA's that I practice are for fun/sport, my self-defense MA's don't really utilize the gi, so it doesn't make a difference.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

i absolutely love wearing my dobok, although ps1 is right, your not going to see MA uniforms on the street. in my school we wear our school t-shirts with our uniform pants. during the winter we wear full doboks, in order to keep training as realistic as possible.

We've been doing some no-gi stuff recently which is very interesting. Sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for most of the class. I pretty much agree with ps1 that for BJJ at least, and any jacketed grappling style (Sambo, Judo, etc) both gi and no-gi training is important; they both compliment each other and there are plenty of times in real life when your attacker might be wearing something with strong lapels. Also, most of the stuff you use gi grips for like fancy lapel chokes, standing guard passes, etc. are things that you are extremely unlikely to need on the street, or, they have fairly instinctive no-gi alternatives, like controlling the guy's head to stop him posturing up in your guard.

I wonder about styles with no grappling though, do they, technically speaking, require a gi/dobok/etc?

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Don't think it's better for self defense, but at the same time I don't feel it's detrimental either. I'd say it's more important to train with street shoes than in different clothing.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Dojos should just have "casual Fridays" like a lot of offices. ;)

It makes sense to train in clothes you normally wear, as it's how you would be dressed in an encounter if you ever did need your skills.

That being said, I understand how a lot of places are either "traditional" or fall into the category of "mcdojo" where they need to show off all their patches and awards on a gi.

Besides, I can certainly understand how most people would feel if they're going to be working out, they'd like to be wearing something other than their normal work clothes (doesn't really apply to me, I work in a hospital and scrubs are even more comfortable than jeans and a tee shirt, clothes I usually favor!).

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke