• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 most common styles of MA

"traditional" based styles that have large organisations:

Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/ Wing Tsun/Yong Chun

Shotokan

TKD

Judo

Tai Chi (I'm not including the new age health/healing groups)

Boxing

Muay Thai

More modern styles:

Generic MMA clubs

BJJ

Generic Kickboxing (for whatever tournament format in what ever country - then there's the gym clubs)

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick point on the international perspective: wrestling in its Olympic forms is almost unheard of in the UK, which is a real shame, so it wouldn't make the top 10 over here. I've not seen many fencing schools either, but I know there are a few around. I would have put JJJ and Krav Maga in there I think.

Interesting. I've only heard two guys around here mention Krav Maga, and not that many on the Internet either, relative to the other styles. Real wrestling is fairly small here too, but I know it's huge in the US and Japan.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Sorry GZK I was assuming you were American for some reason. You're probably right- the immense popularity of wrestling in its various forms in other countries would probably qualify it for a spot in an international top ten. To be honest I was just voicing my own frustration at the lack of wrestling in the UK (I practice Sumo as its the only wrestling I could find!).

You're probably right- the immense popularity of wrestling in its various forms in other countries would probably qualify it for a spot in an international top ten.

Most civilazations, at one point or another, had some form of folk wrestling linked to their culture.

Most civilazations, at one point or another, had some form of folk wrestling linked to their culture.

I agree entirely, I just lament the death of the traditional British styles such as Lancashire Catch as Catch Can and Cornish wrestling. I started to read a book the other day about how these styles were killed off by a combination of Eastern MA and professional wrestling. Unfortunately I was reading it in a book shop and they evicted me as I had already made my purchases, and now I can't find it again. :(

Evet art at one time or the other was top dog.First it was Judo the karate then kung fu (the bruce lee era) then Bjj not its MMA Perhaps Chinese Wu Shu is the biggest as far as over all numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I agree entirely, I just lament the death of the traditional British styles such as Lancashire Catch as Catch Can and Cornish wrestling. I started to read a book the other day about how these styles were killed off by a combination of Eastern MA and professional wrestling. Unfortunately I was reading it in a book shop and they evicted me as I had already made my purchases, and now I can't find it again. :(

Man, that is a bummer. Do you remember the title? That would be a good read.

Every art at one time or the other was top dog.First it was Judo the karate then kung fu (the bruce lee era) then Bjj not its MMA Perhaps Chinese Wu Shu is the biggest as far as over all numbers.

I have to agree with this.

But it doesn't in any way reflect superiority of style over another.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are just 5 arts that are the most popular and most practiced worldwide.

Karate

Kung Fu/Wushu

Judo

Tai Chi

Taekwondo

The other arts doesn't come closer in number of pratitioners. I think its because these arts has been promoted as sports, fitness and educational for children. KravMaga is popular in US mostly. BJJ is popular but doesn't have all that many practitioners as compared to the arts on my list. Many of my friends have heard of BJJ. They know about Royce Gracie, Vale Tudo, etc.. but none of them trains in it.