• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here is a link to a video from a JJJ tourney.

IMHO it looks very much like a MMA with gi....

They grapple , kick , knee and punch.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yup...looks pretty hard core. Lots of fun.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Were this kind of JJJ full contact born after the MMA revolution in the 90´s ? Or are they pretty old ? I say that because many TMA modified some things after looking at the new wave of mma.

Is weird that we havent seen traditional jujutsu in the early UFC, they have good elements. I mean....remove the gi in those fights and you could easiliy label it as MMA. Maybe they are not the best strikers/kickers , but they could be very good with some cross training.

I know that JJJ is a wide art and fights in the 3 ranges , but I didnt know that the tourneys offers this kind of raw action ( I mean....no stopping 4 points , etc).

Does anyone knows the rules of this JJJ competition ?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• 1 month later...

My dojo went to one of those in California. It looks like a lot of fun.

"But I know this: you were determined to win just as I was determined to die if I lost. That was the difference between us." - Matsumura, Karatedo: My Way of Life, by Gichin Funakoshi.

What I have noticed the most from that video is how you can take an excellent striker right out of their game by taking them down.

Except they were terrible strikers. There wasn't any technique nor much commitment. If they were intent on knocking them out, they might have been a little more ferocious. Any who, my karate dojo went to one of these events and did very well. Each student earned either first, second or third.

And don't get me wrong: there is an advantage to grappling. But grappling and striking are equally as important. If you can knock a person out with a strike just as good--if not easier--than to choke them unconscious. Circumstances always vary.

"But I know this: you were determined to win just as I was determined to die if I lost. That was the difference between us." - Matsumura, Karatedo: My Way of Life, by Gichin Funakoshi.

And don't get me wrong: there is an advantage to grappling. But grappling and striking are equally as important.

I agree. However, I think that it is easier for the grappler to become a striker than it is for strikers to pick up grappling. That is where the grappler's advantage lies, I think.

And don't get me wrong: there is an advantage to grappling. But grappling and striking are equally as important.

I agree. However, I think that it is easier for the grappler to become a striker than it is for strikers to pick up grappling. That is where the grappler's advantage lies, I think.

Well, I could disagree or agree, it wouldn't matter. Such a thing depends entirely on the Martial Artist. I know that in a non-grappling style of karate that it isn't too hard to learn to grapple since there are already throwing and sweeping and arm lock techniques in it.

But such tournaments as this are really fun. I would much rather do this than a UFC type of match.