What Martial Arts Have You Studied

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motobuha Shito Ryu 18yrs,Ryu Kyu Kobudo 11yrs,Isshinryu 5yrs,Goju Ryu 3yrs,Shorin Ryu 2yrs

Much of that time those styles overlapped due to cross training.Total training time has been 25yrs

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

Matsubayshi-Ryu-15yrs

Shotokan-3yrs

Aikido-6mths

Kempo Karate-5yrs

Greco-Roman Wrestling-2yrs

Things I draw heavily on: (ie. steal shamelessly from though I can't get good, local instruction)

Judo/Jujitsu

Traditional Western Fencing

Modern Arnis

Military Combatives

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

What martial arts has everybody here studied and how long.

Myself:

Takusankage Shinobido 13 Years

Koto Ryu Koppokutsu 9 Years

Hayai Ryu Kenjutsu 9 Years

Kenpo Karate 1.5 Years

ive done and are still doing:

JKD 20 years

mixed karate 22 years

capoeida 11 years

kung-fu 15 years

MT kickboxing 7 years

western boxing 15 years

nin-jitsu 18 years

ju-jitsu 12 years

shotokan 23 years

western deadly arts 19 years

TKD 13 years

mixed martial arts 15 years

wing chun 8 years

chi kung 5 years

judo 13 years

wushu 16 years

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

That is quite an impressive resume. You have a lot of time in training. How do you make so much time?

Well like most people i started training at a young age (3 years old) i am now 26. i use i spent more time on marital arts then on school, it is very interesting for me , and after researching about bruce lee i started JKD and stried to get as much information as i could, and today i am still looking for new things and are getting involved in other styles.

How did you get involved in TKD?

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

That is quite an impressive resume. You have a lot of time in training. How do you make so much time?

Well like most people i started training at a young age (3 years old) i am now 26. i use i spent more time on marital arts then on school, it is very interesting for me , and after researching about bruce lee i started JKD and stried to get as much information as i could, and today i am still looking for new things and are getting involved in other styles.

Hmmm!

At 26 you are just a youngan really, and sure, your CV is impressive. Did you do most of this at the same studio? If not you must have been training for about 10 hours a day for your entire life.

Training in different styles, is a bit like digging holes in the dessert for water.

Some will dig for a foot or so and if they dont find water, will start digging another hole. They will repeat this process until they find what they are looking for, even if it means they dig 100 holes.

Others will keep digging downward in the same hole until they find water, even if they dig 100 foot.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Hmmm!

At 26 you are just a youngan really, and sure, your CV is impressive. Did you do most of this at the same studio? If not you must have been training for about 10 hours a day for your entire life.

Training in different styles, is a bit like digging holes in the dessert for water.

Some will dig for a foot or so and if they dont find water, will start digging another hole. They will repeat this process until they find what they are looking for, even if it means they dig 100 holes.

Others will keep digging downward in the same hole until they find water, even if they dig 100 foot.

That was a nice little quote. It all comes down to what you want to spend time on and what you dont. some styles i only took a little time with untill i

got wat i want out of it and then i got rid of wat was useless to me.

And i did train extremly hard for many years of my younger life , and i am still training 6-8 hours a day. I love the martial arts and the spiritual aspect of it. and i will continue to better my self in the up coming years.

My dad actually got me involved in TKD, at an early age. My first experience with it was when I was around 4 years old. However, I didn't really get into it until a friend of mine in middle school asked me if I wanted to go to a TKD class with him. The rest is history. I outlasted my buddy, even.

Man, if you train for 6-8 hours a day, you must not have much time to work. How do you get to train so much?

lol you would be surprised about how many people ask me that question.

my day is as follows:

4 o'clock start , stretch , then train till 7

start work at 8 finish at 5

then i train again from 5:30 till around 10 sometimes 12.

good day ay? lol , i have a stick diet which helps me recover quickly.