• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just wondering how much everyone else has to do in the way of theory at a belt promotion.

All colour belts in our school are expected to know the English-Korean translations of the moves they have learnt, they must know the meaning behind the names of the forms + more random stuff.

At blackbelt, the student has to do a written theory test and/or provide a mini-theisis.

Is that more or less than everyone else has to do? Do you do anything different? :karate:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My instructor requires a short thesis for testing for 1st degree, talking about what achieving black belt means to the student testing. Each student has to read the thesis before testing begins to the audience.

I know there is a paper at 5th dan as well, but I don't know much about it.

Each test has a certin move, kata, sparring, knowledge base you have to know.

Black Belt test not much changes except for the sparring is full contact and we expect to see your ability to teach some in the weks up to the test.

But we do not use a written exam I do ask a lot of questions on the test about history, application, etc that I expect you to know but that is one every test not just Black Belt.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You guys are gonna hate this. :brow: When my students are tested, they don't even KNOW they are being tested. Basically, they are tested through my observations each and every class. When they are where I want them to be, they are awarded the next belt. No written tests, no verbal tests..not real formal testing procedure at all. It all comes down to daily training and what I see them doing. They either know the material to advance, or they don't.

The way I look at it is a belt is a belt...big deal! What color belt you wear is just an indicator of what work you have done, nothing more. It doesn make you smarter, tougher, faster or stronger...it's just an indicator. Like ribbons on a soldiers chest...it just says "This is what I've done."

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I think for black belt you have to write a paper, and in our school you cant mess up on any of the forms to pass. for black. about 95% of his brown belts dropped out of TKD

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

You guys are gonna hate this. :brow: When my students are tested, they don't even KNOW they are being tested. Basically, they are tested through my observations each and every class. When they are where I want them to be, they are awarded the next belt. No written tests, no verbal tests..not real formal testing procedure at all. It all comes down to daily training and what I see them doing. They either know the material to advance, or they don't.

The way I look at it is a belt is a belt...big deal! What color belt you wear is just an indicator of what work you have done, nothing more. It doesn make you smarter, tougher, faster or stronger...it's just an indicator. Like ribbons on a soldiers chest...it just says "This is what I've done."

That is a nice idea, Montana. Not a thing wrong with that!