• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD katas and judges

I'm just curious if a judges for TKD forums give better scoreing to someone lets say a blue belt for doing koryo which is more of an advanced kata or taegeuk8 opsoded to a blue belt doing taegeuk6. Just somethen i've been thinking about sence i've started marshal arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A blue belt should not be doing Koryo at a tournament. A TKD sanctioned tournament would not allow this and if done in an "open" tournament" your rank would be suspect.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

A blue belt should not be doing Koryo at a tournament. A TKD sanctioned tournament would not allow this and if done in an "open" tournament" your rank would be suspect.

8)

Although I'm not a TKD student, I understand the question. Additionally I agree with some of what ninjajurse has said. In a closed style tourney for Karate, the kata allowed to be performed are set for each rank. So you wouldn't see a lower rank performing a black belt level form.

However, in open tournaments, it's not uncommon for a lower rank to learn a higher level kata. Because these tournaments judge on focus, balance, apparent difficulty, and power, it does not matter what your rank is. If you perform a perfect Taeguek 1 and another competitor performs a really sloppy koryo, then the best performance will win (even though the kata is not as advanced).

In the end, for closed tournaments you should perform the kata required by the tournament. In open tournaments, you should perform the higest kata you can perform very well. Hope that's helpful. Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

8)

Some of the local dojos around here get together and have little tournaments. so its open and i've seen a orange belt believe it or not do this kata at a compatition. I wasn't paying much attention to the scoreing. just somethen that i was thinking of.

As has been stated above, one would be most likely to perform the forms for the belt rank that you are. As an instructor, I would not teach a higher rank form to a rank lower than that who learns it, especially for a tournament purpose. However, everyone does things differently.

Yeah. I'm almost 100% sure my instructor didn't teach it to him. think it was one of his friends. Thanks for the info with the up coming event i won't try to step it up higher than i am. just practise the ones i need for my belt rank.

Just a little something I want to say, any white belt can be forced to memorize all of the 26 katas in Shotokan. But to master and perfect (to a certain extent) high and even low level katas, takes hundreds or thousands of repetitions not only the katas but the techniques and forms within it, as well as the real life application of it.

For example, to learn to keep your feet facing forward and your knees to the outside in a low proper Kiba Dachi stance at ALL times especially after a jump takes years of practicing it.

Sadly, most young people believe that after they completely memorize a Kata they're done with it, otherwise why do you see black belts even still practicing lower katas?

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee