• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fans

DWx

No what I'm simply saying is you asked how many people can carry a fan in a concealed location. I'm saying its possible for anyone with the intent of doing it. Considering most fans of this type I've ever seen in person are normally only a few inches longer than a butter fly knife. I would say that in all honesty putting a fan in your purse or in a pocket of your jacket isn't that hard.

Sure, its possible, everyone could carry around extendable batons also. But the weapon of choice on the street these days is a blade of some variety, not a fan. And unless a martial artist is carrying his fan all the time then training it for self defense purposes is pointless.

You also have to look into the consideration that perhaps the fan is being chosen for aesthetic purposes, and not for self-defense purposes. Sometimes, when something interests us, we look into to learning more about it, just for the enjoyment of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also have to look into the consideration that perhaps the fan is being chosen for aesthetic purposes, and not for self-defense purposes. Sometimes, when something interests us, we look into to learning more about it, just for the enjoyment of it.

I completely agree, if people want to learn fan techniques for their personal enjoyment go for it. But when they start making claims about it being effective and relivent in modern self defense practices (has some posts in this topic have suggested) then there is a problem.

I completely agree, if people want to learn fan techniques for their personal enjoyment go for it. But when they start making claims about it being effective and relivent in modern self defense practices (has some posts in this topic have suggested) then there is a problem.

I understand. However, there may be some small applications that can be made from them, if need be. Anything can become an improvised weapon. Using a weapon as an improvised weapon does sound redundant, though. :P

I agree. It might not be the most effective weapon you could carry, but a weapon's still a weapon as long as you train to use it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I mainly learn it for the enjoyment, but it is still effective and relevant.

Just because more people carry knives doesn't mean they are less effective. Knives just take a lot less training to be dangerous.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I mainly learn it for the enjoyment, but it is still effective and relevant.

In what way is it still relevant? Do you personally carry a fan when you go out? Do you know anyone else who carries a fan on a regular basis?

I do not carry a fan everywhere I go. But then again I don't carry (nor do I know people who carry) a gun, knife, batton, sai, or any other weapon everywhere either.

My point is that it is an effect weapon for self defense in certain situations IF you are trained well in its use. You can also carry a folded fan around in places where carrying a bladed weapon could get you into a lot of trouble.

Is it ever going to be fashionable again to carry one? Probably not. But again, the question was if it is effective, and it can be.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.