• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slips, weaves, ducks, blocks, when do they come naturally?

When Im doing sparring, I usually find that I have to think about doing those defensive movements. Like I prepare to do a jab block or duck then when I do them I usually get pwned because I dont know what they do next. How can I make these defensive movements come naturally so I can quickly defend against punches?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I make combinations ahead of time, then shadowbox them, then they just come natually

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

All the suggestions above I agree with however you could also try whats below mixed in with that:

Try thinking, I WILL evade or block instead of just thinking, I'm going to block. Hold this mindeset for the entire duration.

Option A: You do the same movement and tell yourself your going to do your best, but in the end, the result was the same as last time. Nothing will change, no matter how long, the habit of getting used to losing just gets deeper.

Now the difference is, option B: You evade or block, no questions asked you make it work because your will says so. Thats it. There will be a huge difference on your follow up or counter, even if they get in.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Slipping, weaving, ducking and blocking should come naturally. I mean if anyone ever throws a ball at my head I naturally flinch and lift my arms to protect my face. As a fighter you just have to train these responses until they become more technical. When you spar forget about the mechanics of moving and just move. Over time, once you are confident that you can move successfully nearly everytime, adapt the motions by making the movements more tactical. Then try to do that with blocking, instead of just randomly throwing your arm, throw your arm with a purpose...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 6 months later...

“Like I prepare to do a jab block or duck then when I do them I usually get pwned because I dont know what they do next.”

Just return to your fighting stance and counter.

“I've found that thinking my moves leaves me slower i may just be weird that way. But not thinking seems to help me the best lol.”

Its best not to think about your moves and just let them become seconded nature, practice makes perfect.

The biggest cannon in the world is of no use against a skilled sniper. -Mao