• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting the better of nerves

Hello all,

I recently failed my shodan in Kendal. I didn't just fail it - I failed it miserably! :(

It's not that I don't have the ability but i just couldn't get a grip when it came to the grading. I really lost my bottle and nothing went right. My sensei who stayed to watch said "watching you was like watching another person - and not in a good way". It was all going really well in the training before hand and felt quite confident, but when my name was called I just crumbled and all my energy disappeared. To be honest I have never felt like that before and now i'm disappointed in myself and feel like a big let down.

Moving past that and looking towards November (my next grading) I am now worried that i'll crumble again. it was so unpredictable and feel stuck in a rut. I've increased the number of lessons i attend so that I know the grading syllabus inside out but am dreading it...

Any advice or past experiences that anyone would like to share?

Ann-Marie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is rough, but you can learn from it. Part of the reason behind testing is to put pressure on you, to see how you perform under it. This will help you to focus more, now, and will eventually lead you over the hump. It may take 2 tries, or 10 tries. But you have to keep trying. Stay positive, and smile while you are in class. You will be fine. Keep working hard. :karate:

It seems as though the test itself "captured your mind," so to speak. Try not to focus on the importance of the test (which can cause a lot of anxiety), and just focus on the technique(s) that you need to execute at that particular moment. Increased practice, as you say you are doing, is probably the best way to relieve testing anxiety.

Ed

Ed

cheers guys - i guess i've just got to keep going. I've put myself forward for various things that are out of my comfort zone to help improve my confidence. any more hints, tips and words of advice are more than useful.

I will let you know how it's going

Ann-Marie

Fear can never win.

If its fear of the attacker or in your case fear of failing hte test. Fear is the hardest enemy to defeat but at the same time its the one we all can deal with.

When I grade my students I tell them over and over I don't care if you screw up the combo on the test because I have seen you do it right but I do NOT uner any circumstance want to see you freeze up.

IMHO any reaction is good you may be right you may be wrong but if you don't freeze you got a chance.

As fara s nerves and a tests go I can speak for everyoen here we were all excited, nervous, jumpy, etc before any of our tests thats human nature. No matter how cool or calm we acted. The one thing karate should teach you is to control the emotions and not let fear win. When you do that you will be ready for you Black Belt reguardless of the kata you know, the combos you can trhow or the knowledge ou have.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."