• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Peeled Knuckle skin from makiwara wont completely heal?

Kante

I've started practicing on the makiwara since a while now. The skin on my third knuckle (right to left) peeled off about three times. And it never completely healed.

There is still one layer of skin, it looks red and it has been quit a while and still it did not heal...

The thing is, the skin on my knuckle never actually got back to normal after healing. Instead, I get this dry layer of skin on top so it never actually heals.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a similar problem on my left. ALthough it seems to heal fine, the middle left knuckle has a sensitive spot right on point of contact, making it hard not to pull my punches on the makiwara. Just rest it up for a while is all I can think of.

Neosporin or some other healing agent?

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Neosporin or some other healing agent?

I would tend to agree here. Cover it, too, and stay off the makiwara for about a month. That should get it healed up. You may want to clean it with alcohol or peroxide, too, just in case it is infected.

Sounds like you are not giving enough time for your knuckles to heal. Conditioning is a process of hitting then healing, hitting, healing, etc.

My skin almost never tears although when I began conditioning them, they tore and bled all the time.

What works works

I have a similar problem on my left. ALthough it seems to heal fine, the middle left knuckle has a sensitive spot right on point of contact, making it hard not to pull my punches on the makiwara. Just rest it up for a while is all I can think of.

I had exactly the same problem, but I gave it a bit of time and it's ok.