• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin roundkick

Just me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would depend on the school i suppose, but considering kyokushin has taken alot of influence from muay thai in recent years the shin is fairly likely, for low line kicks anyway.

We use all three, depending on the situation. As a general rule, the lower the kick, the more shin. Gedan and chudan mawashi geri are almost always with the shin if possible.

We do use chusoku (ball of foot) for fast snap chudan mawashi geris though. A fast one to the side can be devastating, and is popular among some of our fighters.

This is, of course, how we tend to do it in the dojo I train in, it differs from karateka to karateka and dojo to dojo.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I've seen quite a lot of kyokushin matches where people score knockdowns with a sort of half-mawashi, half-mikazuki geri. Is this a kick that you train a lot in kyokushinkai karate, or is it more that it's a quick opportunistic mawashi geri that doesn't quite have time to complete the hip movement?

Coming from a Kyokushin off shot, Ashiharakai, we kick with the shin for roundkicks but we do use the ball of the foot on various kicks. As mentioned before it depends on the school.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I've seen quite a lot of kyokushin matches where people score knockdowns with a sort of half-mawashi, half-mikazuki geri. Is this a kick that you train a lot in kyokushinkai karate, or is it more that it's a quick opportunistic mawashi geri that doesn't quite have time to complete the hip movement?

I don't train kyokushin, but I know that this is a great kick.

It could be said to be half mae geri, half mawashi geri.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. A very short direct kick with tremendous hip rotation behind it that goes in and out really quick.

Very Mauy Thai

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. A very short direct kick with tremendous hip rotation behind it that goes in and out really quick.

Very Mauy Thai

Is this like a half-front/half-round kick? If so, it is very similar to a kick done by many Olympic TKD stylists. It is much quicker than the traditional round kick, but I think it lacks some of the penetration. However, the Muay Thai version of the kick penetrates a lot. It comes from the difference in the use/strategy of the kick, I believe.

In kyokushin karate is roundhouse kick done with instep, shin or ball of the foot? just interested.

I think it's generally with the shin. Some of my friends train in kyokushin and afaik they kick with the shin but sometimes also with the ball of the foot.

In my club it's ball of the foot for the body, instep for the head.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate