• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might not have been the best way to say it as it doesn't fit 100% to what I meant but here goes.

Well..... The Theory of wing chun is that you don't end up on the ground. The assumption is that if your wing chun is good, you won't end up on the ground. In this respect, the training is very specific and it doesn't a) teach you how to get to the ground b) recover from the ground c) grapple. If you try to incorporate into wing chun those elements, I can see it only corrupting the wing chun. That isn't to say that it isn't a good idea to learn something for the ground game, far from it; just that I don't believe it is possible to simply mix something into it and keep it "pure" as it were. It's for the same reason why you can't simply mix TKD into it. If you're kicking TKD style, it isn't wing chun. If you are going to the ground, it isn't wing chun. In the context of this discussion, what you end up doing isn't a mix of tkd, wing chun, and aikijujutsu as a whole. It is wing chun then tkd then aikijujtsu.

Not sure if that is the best explaination of what I mean. It could also be my misunderstanding of what was meant originally by "mix three styles".

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

very true. very few people realize the complexity of chinese martial arts, in this case, wing chun.

still, it would be hard to find a teacher who was so thorough where I live. And with the tkd kicks, i know the structural differences, but maybe some concepts could be applied both ways to make some kicks work- just to spice it up :P

ooh... That's another thing I don't understand. To me Wing Chun isn't complex at all. In fact, everything is pretty simple and straight forward. The difficult bit is getting it right because at times, the structure has to be near perfect or else it collapses. That's why it bothers me when people try to make it out to be some amazingly life changing thing that only if you're lucky and a blue moon falls on the fifth month and a special teacher appears to you that you will get to learn. Well, actually no, it's supposed to be a simple thing that anyone can learn and anyone can get good if they practice properly. Of course, it doesn't help that there are things in wing chun that are only understandable in the context of the culture and perhaps that is where I have benefitted, being Chinese and understanding the reasons for some things more than most can explain to a western guy.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• 5 months later...
If you could choose three styles and mix them together, what would it be and what would its name be? Please describe what this style uses as well.

Personally I would mix Capoeira , Ninjitsu, and Drunken Karate and I would call it Drunken Ninjaoreira. This would offer many be more of a flashy style of martial arts keeping the opponent on the defense with a continuation of attacks such as the Capoeira kicks, the Ninjitsu grapples, and of coarse the Drunken Fist’s/Capoeira movements.

You dont need to make a new style, just follow the rules of jkd, i know 16 styles well, and i use them in jkd

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 4 weeks later...
If you could choose three styles and mix them together, what would it be and what would its name be? Please describe what this style uses as well.

Personally I would mix Capoeira , Ninjitsu, and Drunken Karate and I would call it Drunken Ninjaoreira. This would offer many be more of a flashy style of martial arts keeping the opponent on the defense with a continuation of attacks such as the Capoeira kicks, the Ninjitsu grapples, and of coarse the Drunken Fist’s/Capoeira movements.

Western Boxing

Greco Roman wrestling

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I'd call it "WhoopButt!"