• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help/Advice needed...

TraditionalDan

If you can't find another school to attend, then you may just remain at the one you are at, just to keep training. Who knows, maybe someone else will show up there, and you can work out together on off days.

As for the rank thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have to start over at white belt, so what? You will still have your knowledge, and you will most likely move fairly quickly, depending on your skill level. Even if you don't move any more quickly, your skill will show through in your actions, not the belt that you wear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and AngelaG, I think you may know me from another karate forum.

I believe I do. :) There's a certain other poster on that forum that trains in Shoshinkan in Sussex; is this not an option for you? I believe you may know him/have made a makiwara for him?

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Hello all!

I have currently stopped training with the club I was with for 2 and a half years. I had done martial arts before I had joined this club, and had graded to 4th kyu since. Until I had got to a point where I felt my karate skill/knowledge was overtaking that of the sensei/s there, by quite a way.

This was probably because I train more often than them, and research more into karate as a whole.

The problem is that I cannot find many clubs around me, and those I can will probably have me start from white belt again. When I believe my skills to be much greater, from what I have seen.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this?

Hi TraditionalDan,

Seem to me that maybe you have a few too many preconceived ideas about what to expect from a Karate instructor and for that matter the style.

This could be because you have not had the benefit of a quality instructor for so many years and as a result you have had to further your knowledge yourself, through reading and the internet etc. This is admirable on the one hand but also brings its pitfalls, because you have no real frame of reference, only that of other people!

My advice would be to thoroughly research the clubs / styles available in you area and go along and have a look-see. You are obviously a smart lad, so you know the questions to ask and what to look for in a club. Make an informed decision and go with it. Don’t be bothered if you have to go back to white belt. Belts are for vanity only! If you are the "Traditional" karate-ka that your previous posts imply you are, you shouldn’t be in the slightest bit bothered about a bit of cloth around your waist.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Just a thought - have you tried the karate union of great britain? found at https://www.kugb.org

if you don't know anyting about them they are a large organisation with instructors varying from 2nd Dan to 8th Dan. They hold various competitions and courses and there is plenty of history and paraphenalia to get your teeth stuck into. There won't be a shortage of people who take karate very seriously either so it might suit you more (absolutely no disrespect to your previous instructors and clubs).

As for keeping your grade - well that be would up to the instructor and would depend on a few things like compatibility and recognition. I took a year and half out due to my work life overtaking everything and I started back with the same organisation but a different club. I had to start as a white belt but within about three months I was back to my 1st kyu grade and didn't have to retake.

Funnily enough, I am waiting to hear back from them via e-mail. It's been a few days now.

The fella you'll probably hear back from is Bob Poynton (he always used to answer the KUGB e-mails anyway) - he knows 10 times more about karate than everyone in GKR put together and is a generally cool guy. Should be able to point you in the right direction.

You could also look at the British Traditional Karate Association.

Their top man is Chris Thompson (8th Dan) who was a technical director of the late EKGB.

Chris is a wado man from way back in the sixties who trained with Suzuki (as I understand it).

He now heads up the BTKA and Washinkai which is the style he has developed by incorporating Goju, Shotokan and Shito-ryu Katas / techniques into his system.

Could be what you are looking for:

https://www.btka.org.uk

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Thanks everyone for your posts, I'd like to reply to all of them but I am at work!

You are all speaking perfect sense and I don't doubt any word of what any of you are saying.

I am still awaiting an e-mail reply from Bob, so I'll let you know what the outcome is of that.

Yes I do know the guy from Shoshinkan, and he tests the makiwaras of the guy who sells them.

But his club is a bit out of my way at the moment as I am learning to drive. Once I obtain my licence and a car I think there will be many more possibilities opened up, and for a good club, I will not mind the travel.

Hi TraditionalDan,

first of all no ofense ... i will answer your question with an answer to an interview from my idol (Shihan Masahiko Tanaka - 8 DAN):

" ... the Sensei is the mother and father of an student. In the moment in wich the student leaves his master/sensei, master/senei wich reised him, the student loses his honor. Nobody will appreciate him no matter were he will go everybody will say: "This is the student that leaved his master/sensei"...

I say that you should stay in your club no matter what because your master no matter how he is he invested in you very much and with your stay in his club and letting him teach you and giving you his knowledge you will be appreciatet, not just in your karate but also in everything you will do in your life...

Thats my oppinion,

With Best Regards,

Samurai

Justice & Morality, Polite Courtesy, Heroic Courage, Honor, Compassion, Complete Sincerty, Duty & Loyalty ... principals worth living, ideas worth dying for.

Hi TraditionalDan,

first of all no ofense ... i will answer your question with an answer to an interview from my idol (Shihan Masahiko Tanaka - 8 DAN):

" ... the Sensei is the mother and father of an student. In the moment in wich the student leaves his master/sensei, master/senei wich reised him, the student loses his honor. Nobody will appreciate him no matter were he will go everybody will say: "This is the student that leaved his master/sensei"...

I say that you should stay in your club no matter what because your master no matter how he is he invested in you very much and with your stay in his club and letting him teach you and giving you his knowledge you will be appreciatet, not just in your karate but also in everything you will do in your life...

Thats my oppinion,

With Best Regards,

Samurai

Of course, this would be desirable, but as I have explained before, this really isn't the case.

"]" ... the Sensei is the mother and father of an student. In the moment in wich the student leaves his master/sensei, master/senei wich reised him, the student loses his honor. Nobody will appreciate him no matter were he will go everybody will say: "This is the student that leaved his master/sensei"...

This is something that I really have trouble buying into. I don't believe that any "honor" is lost by choosing to go from one school to another. I think it is more along the lines of trying to make people feel guilty for wanting to search out something new.