• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stances

Aces Red

Right now I am a white belt in Ryukyu Kempo and will be taking my yellow test in about a month (After about a year of waiting to take me yellow belt test). Almost all of the students within the dojo only know one stance to use for kicks and strikes, even the black belts, which is the forward fighting stance. We only use the other stances such as cat, horse, and crane (we don't use dragon) when grappling because it changes the polarity in the body (not sure exactly how it works) and deal more damage to the opponent. Now we do learn many variations to the crane stance through our katas, but we are rarely taught anything outside the kata when it comes to stances. Now in about a year I have only seen the horse stance being used to defend ourselves against a rear naked chokehold.

So I was wondering, why is it we only learn the forward fighting stance when attacking with strikes, elbows, knees, and kicks; but use stances such as the crane, horse, and cat stances (and that's all most people in the dojo I attend know, even the black belts) when countering a grapple?

We haven’t learnt in my time being there how to counter a kick or punch, but instead rear naked choke holds and wrist grabs. So fire away and try your best to answer this question.

PS: My sensei also says that Chi is the Chinese word for .05 Volts of electricity throughout the body that we use to enhance our bodies. Is this true?

Edited by Aces Red

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi. I don't really know the answer to your question, but I think the front (forward) stance proves effective as far as stability and mobility. The back stance seems more defensive. But the horse (straddle) stance can also be used for the side thrust kick and a back fist. We did a drill in class in which we were in the front stance, used our back leg and turned towards our back, all the way around into the horse stance, while at the same time striking with a back fist.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

I don't know exactly what to tell you about all of that. You should ask your instructor these questions, and see what he comes up with.

As for the chi explanation, I dunno. :-?

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I am a white belt in Ryukyu Kempo and will be taking my yellow test in about a month (After about a year of waiting to take me yellow belt test). Almost all of the students within the dojo only know one stance to use for kicks and strikes, even the black belts, which is the forward fighting stance. We only use the other stances such as cat, horse, and crane (we don't use dragon) when grappling because it changes the polarity in the body (not sure exactly how it works) and deal more damage to the opponent. Now we do learn many variations to the crane stance through our katas, but we are rarely taught anything outside the kata when it comes to stances. Now in about a year I have only seen the horse stance being used to defend ourselves against a rear naked chokehold.

So I was wondering, why is it we only learn the forward fighting stance when attacking with strikes, elbows, knees, and kicks; but use stances such as the crane, horse, and cat stances (and that's all most people in the dojo I attend know, even the black belts) when countering a grapple?

We haven’t learnt in my time being there how to counter a kick or punch, but instead rear naked choke holds and wrist grabs. So fire away and try your best to answer this question.

PS: My sensei also says that Chi is the Chinese word for .05 Volts of electricity throughout the body that we use to enhance our bodies. Is this true?

My first question is, who is your sensei and who is his. I have allot of respect for Ryukyu Kempo and the techniques and applications for those techniques. The master of you style has an eye for applications. Believe me, they are real.

More Practice

I would question a style's effectiveness if all techniques are thrown from the "traditional" stances. Since you are relatively new to the style, however, you may be just still learning the basics.

As for polarity/chi/etc, believe it or don't. I personally don't think it matters to the techniques, other than for visualization purposes.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I was wondering who your sensei is and who his sensei is. How far down the line are you from George Dillman. I have trained with him and I can tell you he is right on with he applications. Remember that just because a stance doesn’t look cool it probably has a very sound function. I train in Uechi Ryu. We are about the least flashy style but a very tough and very deadly one. My Sensei, myself and another sensei have worked very hard to uncover the true applications of our style. Thanks to George opening our minds we have found many amazing things. Keep your mind open.

More Practice

One particular stance is not going to counter any grapple. Grappling is, by definition, very dynamic. Therefore, the counters are also dynamic. Countering a good "grapple" requires proper body mechanics. This includes shifting through several stances, not just using one. It's more than possible, however, that you're being taught just the very basics at this time. Only your isntructor can answer that.

As far as the "chi" thing goes, I think your sensei was joking. The word "volt" wasn't even in use when the idea of chi was formed. The best forum to ask this question would probably be the chinese martial arts forum.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Now in about a year I have only seen the horse stance being used to defend ourselves against a rear naked chokehold.

In over twenty years of training I have seen some very scarey things but, please put my mind at rest about a "rear naked chokehold"!! :o

What on earth is this?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

The term rear naked choke likely originated from the technique in Jiujitsu and Judo known as the "Hadaka Jime," or "Naked Strangle." The word "naked" in this context suggests that, unlike other strangulation techniques found in Jiujitsu/Judo, this hold does not require the use of a keikogi ("gi") or training uniform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_naked_choke#.22Figure_Four.22_version

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

At the dojo I attend we don't have a class for each belt level. From white belt to black belt they all attend the same class. Most people who go to the dojo only use the forward fighting stance and that’s about it.