• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old nubie aboard

Givnal

Ive been lurking for a while and this is a great site, seems to be a good bunch hanging out here so I just wanted to say hi, check in and ask a few nubie questions. Im an 8th kyu and havent been training long but I do love it.

Here's the kicker though, Im 40 years old and trying to keep as physical as I can, this was my original reason for starting to train karate. Im training one on one with a very good friend whos 2nd dan and I get undivided attention which is extreamly nice, I know how lucky I am. I plan to keep with karate for many many years even if I dont progress as fast as most, Im not really in competion with anyone but myself being my teachers ownly student. We've discussed a while ago about using only 3 belts white brown and black but finally decided on using the belts he trained with and not worrying too much about how it goes.

I have previously trained with weights for many years but frankly got to the point of just hating to go into lockdown mode and lift everyday, it really became tedious. Of course my flexability isnt very good since, even though streatching should be a priority, but...ahhh you know the excuses Im sure.

Anyway, to make matters worse Ive run trucks and heavy equipment for 20+years and my joints are somewhat beat up especially my hips and lower back, and Ive got an extra 20lbs to shed somehow gained since quitting weight training :roll:

So anyway what are my chances of becoming a decent karateka at my age? My instructor says its never too late but sometimes I do wonder. I sometimes get a little frustrated not getting a hit or 2 during kumite with him but he laughs and says if I did he shouldnt have his belt, very good natrured guy and fun to spar with if I can forget about getting wacked time to time :wink: I never really intend to compeat but excersize sparing and some added selfdefense is my goal. Trying to be realistic, I can take a hit but Im not the spring chicken I used to be :)

Well to make a long story somewhat shorter Ive been doing streatching in the hot tub and on the floor fairly regularly and can kick to the chest area but normally I kick stomach level and down simply since Im still slow and some soreness with higher kicks.

So Im wondering if there are any specific streatches for the hip flexors that might help speed up my recovery

Sorry for the long post, hope I didnt torture you too much.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Givnal,

Welcome to the forum.

So anyway what are my chances of becoming a decent karateka at my age?

Decent compared to who? Will you be a world champion? Probably not, but then again, not many people are.

Doing something to improve your situation (weather it be physical or mental) is more important i think.

Basically i wouldnt worry so much about how good you might be, how many times you get hit in sparring, or what belt you have. If you are having fun and enjoying yourself whilst keeping fit, then its well worth the effort in my opinion.

Best of luck with your training.

I think that it is great that you have started Karate at this stage. As long as you work hard, and give it your all, you have a good chance to enjoy a long Karate journey. As for how good you can get, that really depends on a lot of different factors, like health, genetics, etc. Either way, you have made a step in the right direction just by getting started.

Training one-to-one with a person of so much higher rank than you is going to be tough for quite some time. That is what is nice about training with those of your own skill level; it is easier to chart your progress along with other progressing at the same rate, while working with those that are already ahead of you. I would recommend getting some kind of class work in from time to time, if you can. The change will help you immensely, and it will allow you to see how much you have really improved.

Welcome to the Forums, and good luck in your journey! :karate:

Thanks for the welcome guys. I guess our running joke at work is, that it is what it is. I feel pretty good after a couple hrs training and thats pretty important to me.

Bushido, working out with others at the same skill level would be fun, but we live in a small town and there are no martial arts schools at all here. The nearest one is 250miles away. I think the trade off of no children in the dojo and associated problems like Ive been reading about opposed to being expected to move along a bit faster is a fair thing. We work out at his place, large room with hardwood floors after the kids have gone to school.

So much to learn it seems overwelming, but in a good way. I think Im just starting to realize what its all about and that there is no endpoint to the training.

it 's wonderfull that you have a good teacher, there is no rush in training, take your time, i stoped thinking about ranks, most likely i'll never test again, but i won't stop learning. as for kicking, we don't even have kicks over mid section in our system. stretching is good but again don't rush it, in our age what we don't need is a pulled muscle.

Ive been lurking for a while and this is a great site, seems to be a good bunch hanging out here so I just wanted to say hi, check in and ask a few nubie questions. Im an 8th kyu and havent been training long but I do love it.

Here's the kicker though, Im 40 years old and trying to keep as physical as I can, this was my original reason for starting to train karate. Im training one on one with a very good friend whos 2nd dan and I get undivided attention which is extreamly nice, I know how lucky I am. I plan to keep with karate for many many years even if I dont progress as fast as most, Im not really in competion with anyone but myself being my teachers ownly student. We've discussed a while ago about using only 3 belts white brown and black but finally decided on using the belts he trained with and not worrying too much about how it goes.

Hello, I started my serious trainining in MA when I was 38. I am 44 now and feel healthier and stronger that I did when I was in my early 30's. The secret is in training a good art, with a good teacher and to do it diligently, that is no giving up.

Good Luck! :)

I have previously trained with weights for many years but frankly got to the point of just hating to go into lockdown mode and lift everyday, it really became tedious. Of course my flexability isnt very good since, even though streatching should be a priority, but...ahhh you know the excuses Im sure.

Anyway, to make matters worse Ive run trucks and heavy equipment for 20+years and my joints are somewhat beat up especially my hips and lower back, and Ive got an extra 20lbs to shed somehow gained since quitting weight training :roll:

So anyway what are my chances of becoming a decent karateka at my age? My instructor says its never too late but sometimes I do wonder. I sometimes get a little frustrated not getting a hit or 2 during kumite with him but he laughs and says if I did he shouldnt have his belt, very good natrured guy and fun to spar with if I can forget about getting wacked time to time :wink: I never really intend to compeat but excersize sparing and some added selfdefense is my goal. Trying to be realistic, I can take a hit but Im not the spring chicken I used to be :)

Well to make a long story somewhat shorter Ive been doing streatching in the hot tub and on the floor fairly regularly and can kick to the chest area but normally I kick stomach level and down simply since Im still slow and some soreness with higher kicks.

So Im wondering if there are any specific streatches for the hip flexors that might help speed up my recovery

Sorry for the long post, hope I didnt torture you too much.

Hello,

I started practicing martial arts seriously when I was 38 years old. Now I am 44 years of age and I feel better, healthier and stronger than I did when I was in my early 30's. The important factors are: a good martial art, a good teacher and you (training diligently without ever giving up).

Good luck. :)

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Now thats what I like to hear, wish I had thought about doing this a few years back.

On the flip side, at least in a couple years Ill look back and say Im glad I started when I was young :D

Now thats what I like to hear, wish I had thought about doing this a few years back.

On the flip side, at least in a couple years Ill look back and say Im glad I started when I was young :D

And you are young, when you feel young and if you practice diligently, then you will be younger this time next year :)

Note: Just a thought. I hope your karate training is not too physically hardcore as this type of training can have bad long term effects no matter how young or old one starts their training. It is always better to train seriously but with a "soft" approach in mind. :karate:

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

And you are young, when you feel young and if you practice diligently, then you will be younger this time next year :)

Note: Just a thought. I hope your karate training is not too physically hardcore as this type of training can have bad long term effects no matter how young or old one starts their training. It is always better to train seriously but with a "soft" approach in mind. :karate:

Thats a good point. We tend to focus on control alot and have levels of contact, I joke a little about getting wacked. Its actually pretty light sparing at this level. Getting winded and the cardio of it is what is toughest for me, but its getting easier. Kumite is probaby half our training, the rest is katas, breaks,basics etc. My instructor also is a shodan in Gosoku-ryu and I think thats why we lean toward more sparing, Im not sure. Im just happy to have found something else that can motivate me like this.

Welcome! I'm sure you will be decent if you put your mind to it. I have crappy knees and my instructor lets me "sit-out" of things that I can't do, and by that I mean that I get something else that I can do :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu