• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We were working on Koshi Nage, a hip throw akin to the Hip Wheel they use in Judo, at my Sumo training on Sunday, and I am finding them really difficult. I am a lightweight and was practicing with a guy at least 25kg heavier than myself, and I really struggled to throw him. I could do it but 9 times out of ten I would go down too, my knees giving way under his weight. Also I would tend to turn the throw into a trip, as I couldn't get my partner onto my hip.

My instructor told me that this technique is well known to be viable against opponents much bigger than yourself, and says he has held opponents 100kg heavier than himself on his hip with little difficulty.

I was wondering if the problem might be my height? I am 6'4 and my partner was about 5'8 or so. Could this be the problem and if so how do I counter it? Just don't use the technique in competition or should I work on getting my hips as low as possible? Will i ever be able to use this technique effectively?

Edited by Dazed and Confused

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In general, any throw that requires you to be lower than your opponent will be more difficult for a tall person. You will just have to focus more on getting low by bending the knees on entry. It's a good technique to know but it may not end up being used alot by you. That's not a bad thing. Even the best Judoka use only a handful of techniques on a regular basis. They are able to preform them all, but certainly have their favorites.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Ps1 has good points. Also, once you get your knees bent and get down there, straighten your legs to help facilitate the throw, once you have him loaded onto your hips. Make sure you make the throw a quick movement as well. Don't be slow with it.