• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will Martial Arts help someone with ADD?

I have dealt with this many times before. I have multiple students with ADD and ADHD at white belt they were EXTREMELY hard to handle but as rank progressed and i began to hone them in more and more making rules and regulations stricter and stricter they became remarkably better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i think bushido man hit the nail on the head. I don't know if I'm ADD or anything, but I do have a short attention span and drift off/get bored easily.

I've always had pretty understanding teachers, like one once asked me a question in the tradition of "What is that technique called?" and is wasn't until after two "Jennifer!"s that I realized he was talking to me. I then apologized and told him that I was thinking about soup, which caused quite a bit of a chuckle and now he asks me when I seem to get distracted- Jennifer- are you thinking of soup?

Anyway, many instructors could get mad or even offended by such a situation. Just make sure that you've got someone who is patient and can enjoy a person for who they are.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I teach 2 children with ADD (maybe more, but definitely 2 that have been officially diagnosed).

It definitely helps. They both have been with me for almost 3 years now.

There is a night and day difference in their actions\attention span.... at Kempo class, at home, and at school.

one of them actually helps me teach the newer white belt kids, while I teach the others.

If your child has ADD, I would strongly recommend starting them with any type of Karate. to ensure that the instructor is more patient, explain the situation.

Thats how the parents approached me :D They are now 2 of my greatest child students.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

One solid answer-YES. I have ADD, and as a student it was very difficult to maintain focus, especially when we stopped moving. :roll: Drills that require alot of concentration were a huge challenge. If my instructor talked for a long time, I would only get a few words. Now, as an Instructor, I teach kids. I keep them moving always, I use music alot, never talk for too long, and always make sure they look me in the eye when I'm speaking to them. Teaching presents unique challenges for the ADD person, like yelling out commands backwards, or getting confused when teaching a kata, Talking to parents can be tricky, as I have a tenancy to get distracted and walk off during a conversation. but Martial Arts has given me confidence in myself, and I have insight into the ADD student and feel MA is the best choice for them. :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

Thank you so much everybody, especially you, AKC.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke