• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nine forms for Kukkiwon Tae Kwon Do to 1st Dan:

White belt form, then two forms for each gup rank (low and high).

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

- Suna-Kake no Kon

okay, next time you're in class, with an italion accent say, " hey sunkake, did you get the ice cream...... then say in a different voice.... sunakake... no cone...... it's sure to get tons of grunts and groans and no..... i repeat noooooooo laughs!! :roll:

place clever martial arts phrase here

okay, next time you're in class, with an italion accent say, " hey sunkake, did you get the ice cream...... then say in a different voice.... sunakake... no cone...... it's sure to get tons of grunts and groans and no..... i repeat noooooooo laughs!! :roll:

:D Iiiiiiiii take it you know this from personal experience? :P

I dont believe I have ever actually seen it done or heard it said yet... or its quite possible that since I'm still fairly new that I just dont remember that I have in the whole barage of Japanese words that I dont know yet.

In my tang soo do school it goes:

1)Gecho Hyung Il Bu

2)Gecho Hyung Ee Bu

3)Gecho Hyung Sam Bu

4)Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

5)Pyung Ahn Ee Dan

6)Pyung Ahn Sam Dan

7)Pyung Ahn Sah Dan

8)Pyung Ahn Oh Dan

9) Bassai So

10) Bassai Dae

11) Nai Hanchi Cho Dan

12) Bong Hyung Il Bu

the last one is a staff form but aside from that 11 enpty hands 1 weapon

Hmmm well in my school there seems to be about 27 (no, not a typo - twenty seven) before shodan (though we do do two of the taikiokus so if we were to just start from the heians It would be a little less). Wow... looking back at the other posts seems way more than most schools.... no wonder it takes us so long to get to shodan. :lol:

Now I dont know if you have to do all of the required katas in each belt during a test to get to the next belt but you do have to at least learn them all to some degree of proficiency.

::edit:: It seems that I added them up wrong. I think I included the three needed to get to Nidan... so the actual number that you need to know before Shodan in my School is only 24 not 27.

::edit edit::

List of Katas learned at each level in my system:

White: Taikyoku Shodan

Yellow: Taikyoku Sandan

Orange: Heian Shodan

Green: Heian Nidan

Blue: Heian Sandan, Heian Yondan

Purple: Heian Godan, Tai Sabaki Shodan, Bo Kata - Suna-Kake no Kon

Red: Tekki Shodan, Bassai Dai, Rohai

Brown: Jion, Jiin, Tai Sabaki Nidan, Nijushiho

Brown w/ 1 Stripe: Jitte, Kanku Dai, Tekki Nidan, Tai Sabaki Sandan

Brown w/ 2 Stripes: Tekki Sandan, Seiryu, Bassai Sho, Bo Kata - Shushi no Kon Sho

and Shodan: Empi, Kanku Sho, Sanchin

Dunno what you learn after you are Nidan though.

sounds like shindo jinen ryu-RyobuKai but what where you got Sanchin from?

Well... Thats because it is Shindo Jinen RyobuKai. :D As for Sanchin... I dunno its just what was in the lil booklet I was given... maybe it was added by my Sensei or something (though that seems unlikely)?

::edit:: I did some looking on youtube and you're right... Sanchin doesnt seem to fit in too well at all. Wonder how it got there on the list?

Have you ever bin in that system? (have only seen one or two in this forum in that system)

Well... Thats because it is Shindo Jinen RyobuKai. :D As for Sanchin... I dunno its just what was in the lil booklet I was given... maybe it was added by my Sensei or something (though that seems unlikely)?

::edit:: I did some looking on youtube and you're right... Sanchin doesnt seem to fit in too well at all. Wonder how it got there on the list?

Have you ever bin in that system? (have only seen one or two in this forum in that system)

yes i used to practice at sensei darrell craig's dojo but the most knowledgable Ryubokai sensei i met was Howard High

http://jinmukan.com/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3

yes i used to practice at sensei darrell craig's dojo but the most knowledgable Ryubokai sensei i met was Howard High

That's cool. How long did you stay in the system? Why did you get out?

Howard High is a 6th Dan and my Sensei is "only" a 5th Dan but I think he's quite good (though I have nothing to compare him to) except I think he's a little *too* involved in the whole Shindo Jinen Ryu thing in that (as I had complained about in another thread in a different part of the forum) for a while he would go away too frequently for my tastes to teach at/participate in this thing or the other.

But, he seems to have managed to keep his butt here for a while and either my "complaining" to him worked or the other aspects of his life have managed to settle down... so I'm a lot more content now and he has started to make better arrangements with his black belts to fill in for him when he will be away again when he goes to take two of his black belt girls to the Konishi Cup World Championships (which he will apparently also be teaching at the Gassuku (sp?) beforehand).

Jaymac

You guys do Kanku Sho before Kanku Dai. Intresting....

Yes, we do. I think alot of schools are different, but we are not affiliated with a governing organization like JKA. My instructor felt Kanku Dai was a more difficult kata, thus he does it after shodan.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.