• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Near Getting My Yellow Belt

Once I learn my second kata (I think I've got it down, but it still feels unnatural) I will be able to take my Yellow Belt Test. I was asked if I wanted too take my yellow belt test, starting out only using Ryukyu Kempo’s Taiyoku 1; however if I were to take a orange belt test and beyond I would have to learn two katas before taking a test. I however have decided to take my yellow belt test, having to learn Taiyoku 1 and Taiyoku 2, so later down the line I will only have to learn one kata once I test for my orange to black belts.

So did I make a smart move? And I was wondering what are YOUR experiences while preparing or taking a test for your next belt rank? Share experiences here as well as discuss if what I did was a smart move.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For about a good thirty minutes to an hour, I have practiced my second kata and I think I've got it down pat. Now I just gott’a do my first kata so I don't forget it. I was also wondering how do you remember new katas without forgetting your old ones? Just repetition I guess?

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

yea, repetition is all you can do. another thing, usually dojos practice kata facing the same wall each time they do them. after you do each kata, switch and face a different wall to try and give yourself a different atmosphere and it will confuse you at first but it will eventually help you. a lot of students dont remember the kata itself, they remember the walls they have to face, so by starting off looking at different walls you will eventually learn the moves, not the walls. try doing the kata in different places also like your living room, backyard, the beach, etc.

It sounds like you did the right thing. You don't want to overload yourself too much. Remember quality, not quantity.

As for learning forms, it is all about repetition.

I always write down my forms and draw a chart of the various directions in which it goes. Of course, you will still need to practice. Sometimes, even with it written down right in from of me, I still have trouble figuring out just how one moves flows into the next.

Ed

Ed

For me, books have come in handy for getting forms down. I would get the gist of the form down in class, and then on my own, I would look to the book for reference, and then tidy it up when I got back to class.

• 2 weeks later...