• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Some Ideas, Please.

I'm the assistant intructor of a Shotokan dojo and I was wondering if anyone knew of some fun drills for kids to improve balance or control. We do a few basic excercises for both but I'm just wondring whats out there.

Thanks

ONE. SEEK PERFECTION OF CHARACTER.

ONE. DEFEND THE PATH OF TRUTH.

ONE. STRIVE TO EXCEL.

ONE. BE COURTEOUS.

ONE. REFRAIN FOM VIOLENCE.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might read through the "instructor central" section... there's tons of stuff on activities to do with a class, plus a lot of other useful topics.

what goes around, comes around

• 3 weeks later...

a good exercise for kids to practice balance with is:

-Have them stand on one foot

-Have them place their lifted foot on the knee of the leg on which they are standing

-They will most likely lose their balance at first so have them invision a horizontal line

This is very basic but it works great for most children

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-

Kata with your eyes closed.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Tell them to look up and close there eyes and spin around really fast then who ever stays up the longest wins!

Or...

You could have them hold a round kick out and stay up untill theres only one person left.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

We do a lot of blind kata espcially before the student tests.

We also do the kata backwards and the mirror immage as well lots of fun but they getter pretty hard.

We do the drunk kata too like the guy said above spin 25 times stop and do your kata.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 5 months later...