• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What should I do?

I've been looking into and reading all about martial arts latly and I plan on taking jiu jitsu once I've learned a little more about it. My big brother who is around 250 lbs. , a violent drunk, and a good fighter, wants me to teach him what I learn. This guy flys off the handle over nothing sometimes, and if i tell him I'm not gonna teach him jack he'll prolly fly off the handle about that too, if i teach him one of the main purposes of my learning self defense will be in vain. what can i do to avoid these sort of conflicts with him. btw, he's the type who feels he has to be the alpha male all the time as well.....

When you do take your jiu jitsu classes and if he wants you to teach him you can be "diplomatic" and tell him that you haven't learnt anything that he doesn't know already. Whatever you do don't teach him any techniques as people who are violently inclined will be more likely to make any technique work for them.

This is because such people will enter conflicts with a lot of INTENT. Intent on its own can win you fights. Intent combined with technique can be a powerful weapon which in the wrong hands can cause a lot of damage/suffering.

See, my other brother who's actually "tangled" with the eldest said the main thing about him is when he's fighting he doesn't care how bad he hurts you. and that's my brother talking about my other brother, i just don't see how a person who is actually a very intelligent individual can act like a g.d. caveman......

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Violent drunk." Alcohol can change an individual's personality, life, and life of those affected by the alcohol abuse.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Show him some Kata or Forms -- most people think thats neat to look at but not valuable for fighting. It will discourage him from asking further.

But you may have to make up a form JuiJitsu not sure if they have any formal/traditional forms. Then again, I have only take a few JJ courses and focused on techniques.

Teach him like this. tell him before he can learn to move he must first learrn to hold himself in silence. have him stand in a fighting stance.... not moving, not talking. tell him he must do exactly as you say or you will not continue to teach him. just make him stand there.... perfectly still and when he move or talks.... make him start over.... i love doing this :lol:

place clever martial arts phrase here