• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Avoiding Grouund Fighting

your just talking about competition or sparring purposes right? not self-defense..

Often the best way to develop a specific skill is to isolate that skill. If you want to learn to function on the ground then you need to work specifically on the ground. That doesnt mean that you are going to go out and actively seek a ground fight in a self defense situation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Another option you could look at is letting them take you down, and then learn how to ground fight with them. You will get beat some, but it is the only way you are going to learn how to do it.

your just talking about competition or sparring purposes right? not self-defense..

No, I don't mean by letting yourself get taken down in a self-defense situation. Only in controlled training.

• 2 months later...

well most of the options have already bees stated, the one i use the most is the sprawl, but, then again thats only when im with friends (kuz in tkd when you go down, you get stood right back up ya know) and we do mma styles, but ive also found a way to keep them from doing the attacks in the first place:

make sure you study when they do the attack, and what positions there in before hand, then when you see them coming at it, go in and close the gap QUICKLY and do actually a boxing move; do a quick punch out.. that usually rattles em up when ever they try those dirty tricks on me :P

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

• 1 month later...

Listen to those who tell you to sprawl and such. The only way to get good at avoiding the ground game is to practice the ground game- sorry.

As far as "keeping the distance and dont let them grab you" thats always the idea, isnt it? It simply doesnt work that well.

A skilled groundfighter has the option to keep the fight on his feet or take it to the ground. A non skilled groundfighter (regardless of his striking skills) doesnt have the same options.

Train grappling more than your opponents do.

Another option you could look at is letting them take you down, and then learn how to ground fight with them. You will get beat some, but it is the only way you are going to learn how to do it.

I'd said in other postings that my art, Soo Bahk Do, is really a striking art, although my instructor includes the joint locks and takedowns that come with greater knowledge than what's in the official books.

She's also introduced a measure of grappling, which is a combination of how grappling has become more popular to combine with striking (witness the popularity of MMA), and there's always "just in case."

That said, I've come to realize that the way to know this is really to spend a good amount of time emphasizing it. I think Bushido Man is right, if I may be permitted to paraphrase, to take some lumps but learn while being on the receiving end. I wonder if those who can beat you are actually willing to work with you, like a stronger chess player going over a game s/he won against a weaker player, pointing out errors and missed opportunities, even though this means the weaker player grows stronger.

When I had to do on-the-knees grappling with a fellow student who outweighs me by fifty pounds, following what we were introduced to in terms of push-pull at the shoulders, the first two times he got me down to the canvas, but the third time something clicked and I used his own force--and bodyweight--to pull him into where I could turn him and get him down to the canvas. I won just one out of three, but it was worth it.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

One way to avoid a take down is to sprawl. Chuck Liddel is good at this. Try finding videos of some of his fights on YouTube and see how he does it. Also, maybe you can ask one of your classmates to help you with your ground work. Of course, you are just beginning so you have a lot still to learn, so don't be too hard on yourself!

Ed

Sprawl and then practice countering with knees, elbows, or spinning sweep kicks (if you're allowed to). Pull it at first to get your reflexes used to the movements.

Should you ever find this in a self defense situation, clap the ears when you sprawl.

Also start practicing sacrifice counter throws.

Look up Quantum Ju Jutsu on YouTube.

Wrist throws might help as well because a good wrist throw is a great way to use your opponent's momentum against himself.