• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Avoiding Grouund Fighting

I notice that I am a very weak fighter when ground fighting, because compared to other students within the dojo in my Ryukyu Kempo class thy all have at least some Jujitsu or Mixed Martial Arts experience. I however am only a white belt in Ryukyu Kempo, but I've only had one days experience in Jujitsu and learnt how to shrimp. Everyone in the dojo were I go to are at least a blue belt level, however I have defeated some of them in a spar as a white belt.

Now most people try to get me into a ground fight which I'm weak in. So pending on what attacks they throw at me (Don't know what there called) they usually get me into a ground fight. How do I avoid the attacks such as armbars leg bars (not sure what those are called) and chokeholds?

Thank you in advance, and may you have good luck in your following martial arts lifestyle; mams or sirs. Have a good day.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One way to avoid a take down is to sprawl. Chuck Liddel is good at this. Try finding videos of some of his fights on YouTube and see how he does it. Also, maybe you can ask one of your classmates to help you with your ground work. Of course, you are just beginning so you have a lot still to learn, so don't be too hard on yourself!

Ed

Ed

Another option you could look at is letting them take you down, and then learn how to ground fight with them. You will get beat some, but it is the only way you are going to learn how to do it.

Another option you could look at is letting them take you down, and then learn how to ground fight with them. You will get beat some, but it is the only way you are going to learn how to do it.

My recommendation as well. At least spend enough time to learn how to work your way back to your feet when you're on the ground.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 1 month later...

127.0.0.1 - I like that sig.

As for the topic, learn groundfighting. spend a lot of time rolling with the guys in your class who have grappling experience. if you don't know what they are doing, how can you counter it? Chuck has an awesome ground defense - but he was also one of the best wrestlers in the US and had 7 years bjj experience.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Try to sprawl first and foremost, espically if you're more comfortable on your feet. Sprawl, counter repet as needed.

If you pull to the ground, get used to pulling to the guard. If he's going to take you down, at least try to gain a decent position out of it. Pull to guard and immediatley, and I mean like RIGHT NOW, begin attacking. Don't let him concentrate on trying to escape your guard. Continually press the attack in combination.

Try to avoid ground fighting in general. If your doing it in the dojo, then its good practice just in case, but in a real situation, the ground is the last place you want to be. :karate:

Give it your best.

• 3 weeks later...

The best way is to start learning groundfighting from a good instructor.

Also if you want to work specifically on your takedown defense then do drills that focus on that. Have a partner try to get you on the ground anyway they want and all you do is try to remain standing up. Within this drill you can practice effective clinch management, sprewling etc and later on you can add striking etc into the mix.

your just talking about competition or sparring purposes right? not self-defense..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard