• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your opinion on MMA these days?

When it comes down to it, on the street, whether you get beat by a street fighter or a Martial Artist, you still get beat. It doesn't really matter how you classify them or yourself.

Well said!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am into the Traditional Martial Arts myself, so my opinion of the MMA is obvious of course. Some of the MMA can teach you effective self defense and discipline, but others will only teach you to be aggresive and dishonorable. You need to be careful with MMA, know who is teaching you and what his / her curriculum is all about.

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-

Some of the MMA can teach you effective self defense and discipline, but others will only teach you to be aggresive and dishonorable. You need to be careful with MMA, know who is teaching you and what his / her curriculum is all about.

The same can be said of Traditional martial arts as well. One instructor of shotokan went to jail not too long ago. He was a pharmacist that was selling pharmaceuticals out the back door without a perscription. My point is that it's not a MMA vs. Traditional thing...it's a good person vs. bad person or good instructor vs. bad instructor thing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

MMA- you take simple moves from martial arts and you mix them together into this ugly fighting style that works for very strong built people(or people that hit the gym constantly).

The result-very crude fighters who use the moves they guess will work better.

Very few schools can teach effective MMA because not everyone takes the time to LEARN the different martial arts. they just want the easy moves.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

MMA- you take simple moves from martial arts and you mix them together into this ugly fighting style that works for very strong built people(or people that hit the gym constantly

Hmm , I dont think so. There are mma moves that are not easy at all. try to do a fliying arm bard with a jump from standing. Many of the moves you see are just not fancy...that is...

And about MMA is only for big muscle guys.... I have a pal who trains in MMA and he is just 165 lbs , and HE SUBMITED a 220 lbs mate who work as a BOUNCER . I saw it with my own eyes.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

MMA- you take simple moves from martial arts and you mix them together into this ugly fighting style that works for very strong built people(or people that hit the gym constantly).

The result-very crude fighters who use the moves they guess will work better.

If that were the case, you would see very different techniques used by the little guys compared to the guys in the heavier weight divisions. The "moves" they use are the ones that have been proven to work time and time again, the is no guess work involved.

Some of the MMA can teach you effective self defense and discipline, but others will only teach you to be aggresive and dishonorable. You need to be careful with MMA, know who is teaching you and what his / her curriculum is all about.

The same can be said of Traditional martial arts as well. One instructor of shotokan went to jail not too long ago. He was a pharmacist that was selling pharmaceuticals out the back door without a perscription. My point is that it's not a MMA vs. Traditional thing...it's a good person vs. bad person or good instructor vs. bad instructor thing.

Great point my friend. You have to be careful about who you learn from..traditional or not.

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-

MMA is about fighting. Some may apply art to it, but it is about fighting and doing it well. I have been to three MMA schools, all of which were excellent and of high character. All three had serious fighting fitness (strength and endurance) training as a core underneath their fighting training.

One was taught by a very excellent JKD guy, with assistant instructors in MT, BJJ, stick fighting, catch-as-catch-can wrestling, and other styles. His goal was to train older athletes/artists/accountants/whoever to fight. I liked the environment there best.

The other trained ring fighters. Pedro Sauer is the head BJJ instructor. You will find none better. Two Thai brothers with over 350 professional MT fights between them in Thailand taught the MT. That school also offered classes in Krav Maga, straight Jiu-Jitsu (for the falls), and boxing. They even had classes in actual MMA - how to ground and pound, etc and use ring strategy. That school was a little rough for me but they were all business.

I also took MT from a guy who invented his own mixed martial art called Jung Su because he is a DAN in Tang Soo Do, Jiu-Jitsu, karate, and Thai kickboxing. He seeks the most effective street-useful style using techniques and strategies from all four of those arts. So, he invented his own art to fill a need he saw that wasn't being met.

What Bushido Man said earlier is exceptionally germane: truly well-rounded fighting is about standing, clinching, and ground fighting. A good MMA school will teach these three mindsets and distances using techniques from mixed styles. They will also teach the transitions from one to another. A REALLY good school will add conflict deescalation, fear response control, etc.

Bottom line to me: MMA is here to stay, and is the fastest growing martial art. It is about effective no-holds-barred (within legal bounds) fighting. You either knock out or submit your opponent. The name "MMA" is irrelevant. You could even say there are kata; I train on my own now using kata I have developed for myself.

I have never seen any real fight that wasn't ugly. Most TMA fights I have seen that got very intense turned into full-contact kickboxing anyway, because the fighters modified their styles in the heat of contact. I like MMA, though I don't care for some of the "angry young male" street-fighter mentality of some practitioners and followers, like can be seen on The Ultimate Fighter.

I am a better fighter now that when I did only karate.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I agree. The reason that MMA gets such a negative appeal is because it is in the spotlight all of the time. If any MMA guy gets into trouble, the world is going to hear about it, because of its popularity as a sport. But if the local TMA school owner gets into trouble, it isn't heard about to the masses....because they have no spotlight. It may make local news, but in the end, it doesn't get near the publicity.

I know of a TMA instructor that got into big trouble in my area, involing his line of work, and he ended up leaving the area completely.

MMA is about fighting.

I am a better fighter now that when I did only karate.

Of these two points.... I have no doubt. But, point number one, Is being a better fighter your ultimate goal, or is living a better life. Getting into a fight as an adult is a slim chance at best, and if you have gotten into a fight as an adult, you were probably partialy at fault..... I know I was. :roll: The ultimate goal of karate is to help you seek perfection of character.

And, you say that you are a better fighter with this other type of training. How do you know that you would not have bennifited from more karate training. What if you had spent the years training in karate that you spent in MMA. How do you know that it wasn't just the time....... and not the art. The point is at least worth considering... is it not?

place clever martial arts phrase here