• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your opinion on MMA these days?

I was wondering what your opinion is on MMA (mixed martial arts) championships. Such as the IFL.

I myself have only found out about these championships in the early past.

And after watching quite a few matches it seems that it's mostly wrestlers with some Judo experience.

All I see is 2 guys trying to drop each other to the ground. And none of them can actually hit it's pathetic. This isn't mixed martial arts, it's just wrestling for god's sake.

Are they all like this or is it just the IFL? Because I was expecting it to consist of men who have spent long years practicing multiple martial arts not just 2 guys who know how to wrestle. Because if that's the case then where's the mix?

I also have a question about whether or whether not there are schools that actually teach a fighting system called "MMA"? Because that just doesn't make any sense.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion of MMA hasn't changed: I think it's ugly fighting by people who take the techniques of different styles but neglect the art and philosophy.

And you're right. It does seem to be very one dimensional. Theoretically, it should encompass the three main styles of fighting-hand technique. kicking, and grappling. In reality, it is an excuse for (mainly) boxers to throw a few kicks and then wrestle on the ground. It really, to me, is boring to watch. Every once in a while you do get a fighter who throws more advanced kicks, or a Cung Le who does a scissor takedown. But 99% of the time, it's just boxing and thren grappling. I don't usually watch it.

And watching the way they're conducted, with blood all over the place, it's no wonder most states ban the matches.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

My opinion of MMA hasn't changed: I think it's ugly fighting by people who take the techniques of different styles but neglect the art and philosophy.

And you're right. It does seem to be very one dimensional. Theoretically, it should encompass the three main styles of fighting-hand technique. kicking, and grappling. In reality, it is an excuse for (mainly) boxers to throw a few kicks and then wrestle on the ground. It really, to me, is boring to watch. Every once in a while you do get a fighter who throws more advanced kicks, or a Cung Le who does a scissor takedown. But 99% of the time, it's just boxing and thren grappling. I don't usually watch it.

And watching the way they're conducted, with blood all over the place, it's no wonder most states ban the matches.

I'd say theres four times as much grappling than boxing.

Overall, theres no real damage done, when you really look at it...I mean if every fighter became a paraplegic or blind after one match...you can see where I'm going.

It surprises me that being open minded is what alot of traditional practitioners base themselves on.

I'm not saying I'm not in the traditional category though.

I also have a question about whether or whether not there are schools that actually teach a fighting system called "MMA"? Because that just doesn't make any sense.

I can see what your overall statement is and I agree with pretty much all of it, except MMA gets the mix from collecting different styles ideas and practicing them under one.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Whether or not you like it, you have to admit that anything that can put into question most schools' training is a good thing in the long term. Of course, you also have to remember that it is still a sport bound by certain rules in a set environment. As such, certain things will dominate because of it. At the same time though, Everyone who steps into that ring is bound by the same rules so it is still a fair environment to test your skills, especially you come from a school that professes to be a complete style.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

I love MMA.

With that said Just like nay fight organization like WCL or ISKA sanctioned events there are poor fighters and there are good fighters.

IFL at first used to bore me because most of the fighters were good wrestlers with poor striking and rudimentary but effective BJJ. But I've been seeing the fighters improve and gain more skill as time past.

UFC seems to have all the stars, while to me WEC has the talent the raw hungry Talent. I see alot of pure MMA fighters in WEC, not wrestling default or BJJ default fighters.

I watch them all though because there is something to learn from them all. Elite XC is getting better. Bodog is pretty much a european IFL to me in terms of quality fighters and Art of war is not quite grown yet, nor A1.

Pride is the top of the food chain when it comes to talent diversity and excitment. It will have to be UFC now since they own pride now

I think that the MMA fights in the UFC are top of the line. You see the three ranges of combat usually. Ground fighting tends to be a common theme, and the reason for that is because it is sucessful; Royce Gracie proved that years ago.

I do believe that it is "Mixed." Even if you are just mixing two arts, it is still mixing. As far as ranges of combat goes, there are 3, standing, clinch, and ground. Kicking falls into the standing range. If fighters don't want to do highly advanced kicks, then that is their perogative. Most of the fighters will stick with the high-efficiency moves, like leg kicks, as opposed to head kicks. However, I have seen head kicks, with limited success.

Here is one important point to understand: A FIGHTING STYLE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE "TRADITIONAL" TO BE CONSIDERED A FIGHTING STYLE. Long ago, when the first person picked up a stick to defend himself, he didn't instantly worry about his spiritual development and well-being; he worried about surviving. Many "traditional" stylists get caught up in the ideals that the "traditional" school imposes upon them, and then believe that it is the only way to learn. It is just not the case.

The MMA competitions began as a tournament between styles, and has evolved into its current form over the years because of what makes the fighters successful. And if you think that MMA is not an old style, look up Pankration. It is very similar to this lost game of the ancient Olympics. A Pankration bout would have been much more brutal than an MMA competiton. However, they are very much related.

I don't think that it is a requirement to have spent time in a "traditional" style or two in order to become an MMA fighter. MMA gyms are going to start popping up like boxing gyms have; this is the nature of the sport. Whether other stylists like it or not, this is the way that it is going to be. The traditional schools will still be around; they won't go anywhere. The MMA schools will grow right along with them.

Most MMA guys are not so worried about what style they do or how many arts they know, and they certainly arnt attached to any specific way of beating the opponent.

The reason you see alot of wrestling is, that if your good at it, its a higher percentage option with lower risk of getting beat, as opposed to standing and trading blows with your opponent.

Most MMA guys are not so worried about what style they do or how many arts they know, and they certainly arnt attached to any specific way of beating the opponent.

I agree. It is kind of like the "liberation" that Bruce Lee talked about.

I was wondering what your opinion is on MMA (mixed martial arts) championships. Such as the IFL.

I myself have only found out about these championships in the early past.

And after watching quite a few matches it seems that it's mostly wrestlers with some Judo experience.

All I see is 2 guys trying to drop each other to the ground. And none of them can actually hit it's pathetic. This isn't mixed martial arts, it's just wrestling for god's sake.

Are they all like this or is it just the IFL? Because I was expecting it to consist of men who have spent long years practicing multiple martial arts not just 2 guys who know how to wrestle. Because if that's the case then where's the mix?

It's not all like that. To use a baseball analogy, the IFL is a AAA-standard competition at best. The majors are the UFC and PRIDE, with the occasional match in K-1's MMA events being of similar standards. There are plenty of mostly-standup fights in the UFC these days and PRIDE as well, though I mostly watch UFC.

You are correct that there is no "MMA system". A school may teach (or claim to teach) an "MMA" curriculum, but it would be their MMA system, not the MMA system. My MMA system might be Muay Thai and BJJ, someone else's might be Karate and Judo, someone else's might be Boxing and Greco-Roman Wrestling with Pentcak Silat for good measure.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007