• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Im a blackbelt in TKD,thinking about starting Karate,what would I learn and what are the differnces in the styles, all the kicks look pretty much the same to me,I want to practice more hand striking and joint locks ,at my school it mostly all kicking,and some puching,but mostly all kicking

TKD blackbelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

some types of karate that include a decent amount of joint locks are wado ryu and i believe ryu te. those would include the most joint locks you would find in a traditional karate system, but all karate styles do include them. as for the hand strikes, basically all karate styles use more hand techniques than kicking techniques. ive heard 7:3 hand to foot ratios and 6:4 hand to foot ratios for most styles of karate but all styles will vary depending on the instructor.

some types of karate that include a decent amount of joint locks are wado ryu and i believe ryu te. those would include the most joint locks you would find in a traditional karate system, but all karate styles do include them. as for the hand strikes, basically all karate styles use more hand techniques than kicking techniques. ive heard 7:3 hand to foot ratios and 6:4 hand to foot ratios for most styles of karate but all styles will vary depending on the instructor.

Good choice french fri25

Wado is a very broad ranging style. On the one hand we practice pair work such as this, which has its origins in the Koryu arts:

And then there are the more competitive Kumite aspects of the style such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwPXhYyPfE

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Good choice french fri25

Wado is a very broad ranging style. On the one hand we practice pair work such as this, which has its origins in the Koryu arts:

And then there are the more competitive Kumite aspects of the style such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwPXhYyPfE

We do that at my school,U have to perform those for belt advancements

TKD blackbelt

As a black belt in TKD, you're going to find many of the striking techniques are very much the same. Karate will put more emphasis in lacing combos of hand techniques together. I believe goju ryu practices alot of joint locking. You may also consider a jujitusu school. In Diato Ryu we learned all the same hand techniques, some of the kicking and lots of joint locking.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."