• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I competed in my first tournament today, and I really let my nerves get the best of me during the forms competition. I ended up making an error two steps in and bowed out and was allowed to start again. It was definitely not my best demonstration!

I'm planning to compete again at another tournament at the end of the summer, and I'm sure that my nerves are bound to crop up no matter how much I prepare.

So, I'm curious to know how do you handle your nervousness. Any advice would be appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Awww, thats too bad. I have never competed myself so I was wondering, which would have been better in that scenario: To "accept" your mistake and continue on or to do as you did and start over? "Points"wise... which would have hurt you more or do you even know? Though I do know that some mistakes are almost impossible to recover from.

In any event, good for you for having the courage to compete, which is a lot more than I can say for myself :D and even better for you for planning to try again! Oh and if I may ask, what rank are you?

rotfangcon,

Don't worry about your performance. It was your first tournament after all. I remember at my first tournament, many moons ago :D, that I was a bit nervous, because I didn't know what to expect and the Grandmaster was going to be there.

Personally, if someone corrects an error as you did whilst demonstrating a form, I don't hold it against them (I haven't ever officiated a tournament, though, just graded students during testings).

As for nervousness, I have found that repeatedly doing whatever it is that makes me nervous reduces the jitters over time. However, they probably won't ever go away completely, which is a good thing IMHO.

Ed

Ed

I'm a 7th gup in SBD. I was told during class over the past few weeks that I had two choices if I made a mistake - I could continue and take an automatic .5 deduction, or I could acknowledge my mistake and get the chance to start over without penalty.

I have been to tournaments before as an observer - my daughters had competed in 2 before this one - so I knew what to expect, and we rehearsed the protcals in class, but I was really taken aback by the severity of my nerves. I'm not sure how to rehearse that other than through just trying again at the next tournament and being prepared for it.

I'm a 7th gup in SBD. I was told during class over the past few weeks that I had two choices if I made a mistake - I could continue and take an automatic .5 deduction, or I could acknowledge my mistake and get the chance to start over without penalty.

Ah I see. I had no idea. Good to know. I wonder if those rules will apply to the tournament that is coming up where I go?

I have been to tournaments before as an observer - my daughters had competed in 2 before this one - so I knew what to expect, and we rehearsed the protcals in class, but I was really taken aback by the severity of my nerves. I'm not sure how to rehearse that other than through just trying again at the next tournament and being prepared for it.

I think that even though you cannot necessarily *do* anything to calm your nerves (other than practicing a lot) I would think that the next time around no matter what... your nerves should be a little bit better anyway cus you have felt the feelings before and know how you might feel and just knowing that will probably make you feel it less (if that makes any sense).

This is what I hope is true anyway, because I know my nerves were a complete mess at my first test a little while back (was sick to my stomach all day), so I *hope* that I would have calmed down some by the time the next test rolls around. :P

Good luck next time around.

I competed in my first tournament today, and I really let my nerves get the best of me during the forms competition. I ended up making an error two steps in and bowed out and was allowed to start again. It was definitely not my best demonstration!

You need to remember,(Unless this is formal kata competition where you are required to select it from a list and perform the kata exactly) in an open kata competition, the judges probably know the kata you are performing. If you mess up, just keep going. Don't pause, don't grimace, and don't stop. See if you can spot my mess up in this kata:

I missed about five moves out of the kata but still wound up taking third because I didn't stop in the middle. In a different tournament, I had to improvise like crazy because I split into a different kata and had to work my way back. I didn't place in that competition, but I beat the opponent I was performing with and got a compliment from the judges about the fact that I didn't get rattled and did a fair job recovering.

I'm planning to compete again at another tournament at the end of the summer, and I'm sure that my nerves are bound to crop up no matter how much I prepare.

So, I'm curious to know how do you handle your nervousness. Any advice would be appreciated.

As for the rest of it, just remember, tournament's no different than practice, just with people from another area. Don't worry so much about the winning. A trophy or medal's just another surface to collect dust. Experience is the best way to get over nerves. The more you do it, the less nervous you get. You get to a point where you're nervous before, but not during.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

The more you compete, the more you will get used to it. That will help your nerves out. However, you will probably always have some of the jitters. It just comes with the territory.

Best of luck at your next tourney! :karate:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get really nervous, too. What helped me most was sitting down and writing out how it was going to go. They guy was going to say "hajime" and I'd immediately do a side kick, cross step right punch to the chest block whatever he's throwing....from any punch to the face that he does, I do this, etc.

Of course, the moment that the match starts, it all goes out the window, but I've spent so much time envisioning myself beating him and I feel confident that one of my combinations will pop up (i usually shadowbox them the night before) that the match is not "something that's going to happen", but "something I'm going to do".

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 7 months later...
The more you compete, the more you will get used to it. That will help your nerves out. However, you will probably always have some of the jitters. It just comes with the territory.

Best of luck at your next tourney! :karate:

Exactly! you can also try music? its pretty motivating, it has helped me.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Well nervers are different for everyone and you should do what ever things that will keep you occupied so you dont think about it. congrats on you first tourament.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.