• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stigma of MA injuries

I too have experienced being put to the back of the line in the casualty department (ER) of many hospitals because of a Karate related injury.

That said, I think it does depend on the doctor. I friend of mine recently went to his GP because his knee was hurting. He was fully expecting the third degree and being told to give up Karate. Instead he was surprised when the doctor commended him for having an active pastime. The doctor’s words were - if it came to the worst, we can always replace your knee, we can’t replace your heart.

I found this refreshing.

That is awesome! Staying active is part of a healthy lifestyle, and I am suprised that more doctors don't take this viewpoint when addressing injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a couple of comments to add. Most doctors commend anyone who exercises, no matter what it is that they do. I have yet to come across a doctor, including orthopaedic doctors who tell someone to give up martial arts because of a bad joint.

As for being placed last in emergency room triage because of a karate injury, well this is just not true. I would believe that a karate injury, unless you were knocked unconcious, is probably not an emergency, hence triage. Those individuals who go to or are brought by ambulance to the ER are triaged as Level 1. Serious and life threatening, Heart attack, CVA, Multiple traumas, serious life threatening injuries/burns and needing immediate attention. Level 2. Situation that could become serious: abdominal pain, fevers > than 102 and sustaining without antipyretics, open fractures, chest pain. pt Level 3. Non-life threatening injuries- sprains, bruises, possible closed fractures, colds/flu. People who work in the ER's are usually understaffed, underpayed, overworked and try very hard to take care of everyone, including those people who could probably see their own physician the next day for their complaint.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Exactly, a broken bone or sprained ankle is going to get a lower priority in line than the guy having the heart attack or the 8 year old with the 104 temperature. Also, a lot of cities have urgent care facilities that can get you through faster if you have a non life-threatening injury. Heck of a lot cheaper too.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1