• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

at my school we are trained with both sides. My opinion is that why have a weak side train both sides so that you can become proficient with techniques from both sides and have just as much power from both sides.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At my school we train everything on both sides, with a view to becoming an ambidexterous fighter. Also, as stated, it really screws with your sparring/competition opponent if you can change stances in the blink of an eye and remain with the same combat ability level.

"We follow the World,

The World follows Heaven,

Heaven follows Tao,

Tao follows the way things are."

• 2 weeks later...
Humans are right or left handed , its not choise. You may train in 2 stances , but ALWAYS have a dominant stance.

Well, some are ambidexterous, and can use both equally well. As far as the dominant side is concerned, I think you can train yourself to not be so reliant on a dominant side. It just takes time. The younger that you do this, the better, and the easier it is as an adult.

some are ambidexterous, and can use both equally well

Yes , there is people with suck skill . But is not very common . Is a small minority of the population

I am right handed. I can fight in the other stance . I find cool to have my strong hand ( right) closer to my enemy , because jabs are much more easy to conect than other punches. But , when I fight like that , I dont move with the same grace .I feel like caged . Some practice may help me of course.

I tried to fight in a left handed stance against an awesome MMA guy who train with me. It was easy for him to take me down , because my slower reaction..... I should practice first with unskilled mates...

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I tried to fight in a left handed stance against an awesome MMA guy who train with me. It was easy for him to take me down , because my slower reaction..... I should practice first with unskilled mates...

This may be more due to that practitioner's skill level, in comparison to the amount of time that you have been training, and the level that you train for (if he is an MMA fighter, he is probably getting a considerable amount more training). So, don't get discouraged.

• 4 weeks later...

when your serious about the art of boxing, when it's so competitive, you pretty much HAVE to stay with one side or you are not going to do well.

Like in Judo, the Olympic level guys have only a handful of special moves & very specific game plans.

If you don't care about competing, gonna train LONG term, and plan to use it for more broad less defined situations, then variety is good, train both sides.

when your serious about the art of boxing, when it's so competitive, you pretty much HAVE to stay with one side or you are not going to do well...

If you don't care about competing, gonna train LONG term, and plan to use it for more broad less defined situations, then variety is good, train both sides.

I agree with this. I think many people - and understandably so - do not realize that endurance plays a significant roll in boxing. I'm not just speaking of cardio endurance but endurance to both physical pain and an element of non-pain that some how seems to tap your "wind" and energy for some reason: being punched hard (especially if it's repeatedly).

When a person begins to get exhausted and begins *gasping for air,* when he or she is at the same time *pressured* by one or more violent opponents in what seems like a life or death situation, that person *easily* begins to lose their "cool." Fear at this point shoots into a person like never before. At such a point you best regain your disposition, at such a point you best have solid *basics.*

When you have taken some solid blows that sap your energy in seconds like a super-leech, and no amount of sucking seems to give you the oxygen you need *just to simply defend yourself,* your natural instincts are to *flee.* Boxers do the insane thing of actually staying in the ring. It has been time tested and time proven that at such instances attempting to try out "new and innovative things" will be detrimental to your health and success. You do what works. And stand your ground like a Spartan. Even if that means running backward, from side to side, simply disengaging or even clutching. But you do what works.