• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need a shoulder to cry on.

Hi all. First time here. I could use some info/help/advice. My son is a Brown Belt in Kwan Mu Kan Karate. In two weeks, he will be taking his Bo test.

Last week when he found out about it, he asked another Brown belt to be his Ooki. Yesterday, we found out the other Brown belt wouls be taking the Bo test same time as my son. So right no we don't know if they can Ooki each other or not. I asked a Black belt if he could Ooki. (My son was his Ooki for his Bo Test) Someone told us Black belts could not Ooki. The Sensei suggested to ask two Green belts (for the experience). would rather ask a blind person. I would not trust either one of these Green belts to help my son pass his test. Both are 16yr old girls.(no offense) Both are worthless. One has a habit of getting a headache during warmups and sitting in the middle of the floor until she feels better. (Teachers pet, she can get away with it). The other is afraid of any type of physical contact.

My sons Bo test involves breaking three boards with his Bo from various positions. He has one chance to break the board. If the board does not break or his Bo breaks, he fails the test. The Ooki has to hold the board while its being broken. I'm expecting both of the girls to flinch or run when the time comes for the test.

Not much choice left. Another Green belt who we would trust is out sick.

What this boils down to is, should I be a pest and ask the Sensei whats going on? Or should I just stay out of it and let my son take his test and "pray" he passes. :-?

Edited by marmaduke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hopefully your sensei is the kind that will know the difference between a bad strike and a bad person holding. If the person holding flinches or runs away and your sensei doesn't pass your son simply based on that, I hate to say it but maybe you should find somewhere else to train. That's interesting though, I've never heard of breaking with a weapon though. I would think that would be kind of dangerous.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hopefully your sensei is the kind that will know the difference between a bad strike and a bad person holding. If the person holding flinches or runs away and your sensei doesn't pass your son simply based on that, I hate to say it but maybe you should find somewhere else to train. That's interesting though, I've never heard of breaking with a weapon though. I would think that would be kind of dangerous.

Thanks. My son has been here for 6yrs, plus 2 from another Dojo. When we switched him over it took a year to bring him up to the current Dojo's standards. I really don't want to start looking again. As it is, my son is scheduled for his Black Belt test in December. I really don't want to screw him up for that. As for the board breaks, its common at this Dojo. A downward swing across the board, a end-on strike/lunge, and a break at a 45 Degree upsweep. Several students have already done the practice strikes. One cracked his Bo, but otherwise, the breaks are simple and not very dangerous. One or two Ookis hold the board with "C" clamps. Its over before you know it.

I would stay out of it. As said before the instructor should know the difference between a bad strike and a bad hold.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

As for the board breaks, its common at this Dojo. A downward swing across the board, a end-on strike/lunge, and a break at a 45 Degree upsweep. Several students have already done the practice strikes. One cracked his Bo, but otherwise, the breaks are simple and not very dangerous.

It actually sounds like a lot of fun. I was thinking broken fingers from the person holding the board on a missed swing, or a swing that was thrown too hard going through or bouncing off the board and into one of the people holding. Nothing life threatening, just a possibility for injury. If you have a hardwood bo like oak that gets stored correctly and isn't one of those toothpick bos, you shouldn't have any problems at all with the weapon breaking.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

That is an interesting scenario you are faced with. I would talk with the instructor about your concerns. He should be at least willing to listen to what you have to say. The fact that he has a teacher's pet like that is kind of disturbing. Does that particular student have any needs that you may not be aware of? Otherwise, it sounds fishy.

Talk it over with the instructor. Then go from there.

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

Would you believe, everything worked out?

Teachers pet got hurt while learning to drive a motorcycle, so she's out of testing. Sensei agreed to let each Brown Belt be the others Ooki and he let the Black Belt be there as backup.

I have never been so relieved.! July 9th won't get here soon enough.

Good luck, and much success!

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International