• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Levels within a black belt degree/dan???

In the 1st school I trained in we had an informal "maintenance" test for BB's. Since we always had an outside instructor come in to test us, our instructor would always have our BB's demonstrate their forms for the visiting instructor. It was partly to see how the BB's were keeping up their training & part to show the visiting instructor that our instructor was producing BB's that kept up with their training. (Kind of a pat on the back to him).

But this demo was never called a test, nor was anything giving to the BB's for it.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think that a set-up like this is a good idea, even for lower ranked students. I have seen so many students forget their lower ranking material, just because they never do it in class, and don't usually think about it until it is about 2 months before their scheduled testing. Something like this will at least keep students on their toes.

I like the idea of testing BB every 3 - 6 months on the material they should know. It is a way to see if there is improvement and to keep them interested and motivated. I don't think I would consider "marking" their belt with a rank (other than their current dan stripe).

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I like the idea of testing BB every 3 - 6 months on the material they should know. It is a way to see if there is improvement and to keep them interested and motivated. I don't think I would consider "marking" their belt with a rank (other than their current dan stripe).

I agree. I think that just keeping a running log of what they know, and what they have trouble with would be sufficient. But, to each his own.

Our system has Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced ranks for for each Dan level. Testing is done every 6 months until 3rd Dan, then every 12 months.

New curriculum is added at each level so there is always something to learn and work on.

8)

Do you mean you get a test for each dan every 6 months until you're at the 3rd or are you talking about the level tests of each dan?

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

It works like this:

Probationary Black Belt (6mo)

1st Dan-Novice (6mo)

1st Dan-Intermediate (6mo)

1st Dan-Advanced (6mo)

2nd Dan-Novice (6mo)

2nd Dan-Intermediate (6mo)

2nd Dan-Advanced (6mo)

3rd Dan-Novice (12mo)

3rd Dan-Intermediate (12mo)

3rd Dan-Advanced (12mo)

4th Dan-Novice (24mo)

4th Dan-Advanced (24mo)

5th Dan (60mo)

6th Dan (72mo)

Hope that answers the question.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

With this system, is there a stipe notification on the belts, or is it just notified in writing? Just wondering. I see how the system works, and I think it is a good idea.

Our system has Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced ranks for for each Dan level. Testing is done every 6 months until 3rd Dan, then every 12 months.

New curriculum is added at each level so there is always something to learn and work on.

8)

Wow what style are you referring too? That seems super fast to me. It takes at least 1 year to go from green to blue, and 1 1/2- 2 years from blue to brown and a minimum of 2 years from brown to black, and after that it can take a while.

Wow what style are you referring too? That seems super fast to me. It takes at least 1 year to go from green to blue, and 1 1/2- 2 years from blue to brown and a minimum of 2 years from brown to black, and after that it can take a while.

We have nine gup ranks before black and it takes 4 years of training to get through them all. Then the Black belt ranks start. It takes a minimum of two years to reach 2nd dan, 2 years to reach 3rd dan, and 4 years to reach 4th dan. I don't think that is fast at all-about average for most systems I have studied.

With this system, is there a stipe notification on the belts, or is it just notified in writing? Just wondering. I see how the system works, and I think it is a good idea.

Just a certificate, no stripes until you change dans.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I think this looks like a good way to keep Black Belts serious about their training. What happens if someone does not do well. Is thier advancement delayed?

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.